PDA

View Full Version : Stronghold Chuck??

Paul Rains
04-01-2009, 8:42 AM
I used chuck the other day, liked it real well. I would like to get one for my new Jet 1642, but trying to figure out everything you need off website is like figuring ordering what lego's would make a car.:)
I have never seen so many parts, options and accesorries, any suggestions for turning larger bowls on Jet with this product, also best place to purchase, we have local woodcraft, they likely could help and maybe sell?

Cyril Griesbach
04-01-2009, 9:16 AM
Paul, the stronghold is one of many quality chucks available. Most usually come with jaws in the "medium" size range along with a chuck key. Which ever brand you choose you will likely also have to order the appropriate "insert" to adapt the chuck to the lathe spindle thread...in your case I believe it's 1 1/4" x 8 TPI. The insert also allows you to use the chuck on another spindle size by simply getting a different insert rather than a whole chuck. All the popular brands can be ordered from most of the major turning suppliers...Packard, Craft Supplies, etc. Don't be confused by all the additional jaw sets. You can add then when and if you need them for specific needs.

Bill Mitchel
04-01-2009, 10:27 AM
Paul

I bought the Talon from hartvilletools.com When I bought mine they had the lowest price and were great to deal with. They have a special in the talon for $204 and includes 4 Taunton turning DVD's.

good luck
Bill

Jeff Nicol
04-01-2009, 10:48 AM
I have the stronghold and I love it! It comes with the #2 jaws but I bought the #3 jaws for larger turnings. I have a PSI Barracudda II and an older nova that cover all the other sizes I need. I bought mine through Amazon.com a couple years ago so not sure what the price is today.

Jeff

Mike Stephens
04-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I bought the Talon from Hartville a month or so back. They had the best price and they came with a second set of jaws free. Also any purchase over $100.00 shipped for free.

Good Luck,
Mike

Leo Van Der Loo
04-01-2009, 11:59 AM
Hi Paul, If you want to turn larger bowls, 16" and up, go for the Oneway Stronghold chuck, smaller than the 16" and you should be fine with the Oneway Talon chuck.
You can order directly from Oneway if you like, their standard chuck package does include the adapter that you need, and the standard No 2 jaws, it also includes the woodworm screw, the big chuck key and the small hex key for the jaws and for installing the adapter.
The No 2 jaws covers a lot of what you can hold on the chuck, because of the patented jaw shape and the largest range of jaw movement with the chuck, if you think you are going to turn real big, the No 3 jaws would be nice to have, but maybe you better first find out how much you can do with just the standard jaws that come with the lathe.

If you have any questions why don't you give Oneway a call, they will be able to give you all the info you want/need, they do have a Toll Free number 1.800.565.7288

Have fun and take care.

Steve Schlumpf
04-01-2009, 1:49 PM
Paul - I have the Jet 1642 2hp version and use a Oneway Talon chuck. I have turned many blanks on my lathe that were very close to the size limit over the bed and (using the #3 jaws) have never had a problem with holding the blank. The Stronghold will work great but with the Jet 1642 it is probably more chuck that you need. If you plan on upgrading your lathe in the near future - then that would justify the larger chuck. Just my opinion...

Nathan Hawkes
04-01-2009, 3:08 PM
I got mine recently from Hartvilletool.com They have a deal going on until april 30th----a stronghold and 4 taunton dvds for 244!!!! you have to buy the insert, but its still cheaper than anybody else. There's a similar deal on the talon....
Just thought you should know. ;) I have no affiliation with them whatsoever other than that I'm a happy customer.

Jerry Gerard
04-01-2009, 5:00 PM
Another Hartville tool happy customer . I have the talon and think I'll pick up the stronghold next . Don't forget to order the insert . Either chuck qualifies for free shipping .

Philip Morris
04-01-2009, 5:16 PM
Ditto comments on Hartville and Talon.

One other point to note is that the Talon can use both Oneway/Talon jaws and most jaws that fit the Nova chucks. However, the Stronghold can only use Stronghold jaws (even the Talon jaws will not fit the Stronghold).

Harvey Schneider
04-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Ditto comments on Hartville and Talon.

One other point to note is that the Talon can use both Oneway/Talon jaws and most jaws that fit the Nova chucks. However, the Stronghold can only use Stronghold jaws (even the Talon jaws will not fit the Stronghold).

Sorry for the Hijack,
Does that mean I can use Talon and Oneway jaws on my SN2's?

Dave Halter
04-02-2009, 8:47 PM
I also recently got a Stronghold Chuck from Hartville. I've bought from them in the past and have had very good results. The current sale with the Taunton DVD's are all turning DVD's that are normally about $20 each. They are:

Turning Projects with Richard Raffan
The New Turning Wood with Richard Raffan
Turning Boxes with Richard Raffan
Bowl Turning with Del Stubbs

Philip Morris
04-03-2009, 6:37 AM
Harvey,
It is my understanding that the Talon/Oneway jaws will fit the Nova's (I have never tried this to confirm, just going off of what others have said.)The Stronghold jaws only fit the Stronghold.

Regarding Hartville DVDs with chuck:
If for some reason you don't want the DVDs, Hartville manager agreed to give a $38 credit for them.

Thomas Herview
04-03-2009, 8:18 AM
2 Grizzly chucks here, $99.00 and compatible with Vicmark I'm told. I've had my first one for several years now without a problem. Just my 2 cents.

William Payer
04-03-2009, 4:49 PM
Harvey,
It is my understanding that the Talon/Oneway jaws will fit the Nova's (I have never tried this to confirm, just going off of what others have said.)The Stronghold jaws only fit the Stronghold.

Regarding Hartville DVDs with chuck:
If for some reason you don't want the DVDs, Hartville manager agreed to give a $38 credit for them.

__________________________________________________ _____

I just ot a SN2 chuck and jaw sets due to a good price recently. I also have two Talons. I tried the SuperNova jaws on the Talon and they do fit, although the keyway on the back of the jaws is just a hair different dimensions (not enough to keep them from being interchanged, but you can feel the fit is not quite the same as the parent chuck and jaws combination)
The only jaws that dont seem to fit are the #1 spigot jaws. The Oneways jaws have the single screw hole placement to thread in the center hole of the Oneway jaw(3 holes) whereas the SuperNova spigot jaws screw in using one of the outer holes.

AS a side note. The Oneway chucks come shipped from the factory clean and degreased. THe SN2 chuck and all the jaw sets were heavily encased in grease. What a pain to clean. In fact my first turning with the SN2 resulted in grease being slung out from the internals of the chuck, all over the lathe beds, wall in back, and me! You would think that a nickle plated chuck would have enough corrosion resistance to survive shipping without all the grease. Did anyone at Tecknitool ever think these were going to be used with wood and grease is not appreciated!