PDA

View Full Version : Dual bevel CMS, verse Single bevel

Randal Stevenson
04-01-2009, 12:17 AM
A friend of mine, is looking to upgrade his wore out Craftsman miter saw. He is looking at the Hitachi 12" single bevel at the local Costco. The sliders aren't in yet.

I've tried to explain to him, that he might want a dual bevel (just finished the basement, still has to trim it out and hang the drop ceiling). Besides the Crown molding (where I have seen the dual bevel used the most), where else do you use the dual bevel, that you couldn't easily, flip your work? (I only have my experiences to go on)

Thanks!

Dan Friedrichs
04-01-2009, 12:18 AM
Long pieces of anything make dual-bevel VERY nice...

Mike Henderson
04-01-2009, 12:24 AM
I agree with Dan. My first CMS was a single bevel but when I upgraded, I made sure to get a dual bevel.

I don't use it often but when you need it, it's really nice to have. If you're doing field work, you only need a long support on one side if you have a dual bevel. Otherwise, you have to shift the piece to the other side and then you need support there.

Mike

Ben Franz
04-01-2009, 7:34 PM
As stated above, when cutting longer stock, the double bevel is nearly essential, not just for crown moulding work. I used to do a lot of trim work and trying to spin 16' stock inside a house is a real pain. In a shop environment it's more "nice to have".

Larry Edgerton
04-01-2009, 8:13 PM
Baloney! A single bevel is just fine, and in fact has a huge advantage. When I do cope work with my Hitachi I never lock the bevel, I just flip the saw from 45 degrees to 90 and back as needed with one hand. With a double you can not do this and it is too damn slow. I will bet anyone here I can cut copes faster with a single bevel.

Plan your work better and there will be little flipping to do.

Mike Henderson
04-01-2009, 8:28 PM
When I do millwork, I use miters rather than copes, so dual bevel is really worthwhile for me. Also, my CMS (a Bosch) flips easily from 45 to 90 (and back). To switch to -45 (the bevel on the other side) I have to press a separate lever.

Mike

Steve Clardy
04-01-2009, 8:32 PM
I prefer the dual bevel saws.
2 of mine are dual bevel. 2 are not

Ben Franz
04-02-2009, 12:11 PM
Salami. My preference for dual bevel is just that - mine. I'm expressing an opinion. FYI I've been a successful and well organized general contractor for about 20 years. Lack of planning has nothing to do with the benefit of having dual bevel available. But thanks for the helpful advice.