PDA

View Full Version : HELP please - Epilog Mini raster disaster

John Noell
03-31-2009, 11:58 PM
All of a sudden (with a customer standing there), my Mini decided to go wild when rastering. It vectors okay but in rastering it keeps firing and I am getting all kind of strange lines. Attached is a photo showing the problem. I thought maybe encoder strip but I have cleaned it twice, carefully, and blown out the reader (enough???) with compressed air. I also tried reversing the cable but it made no difference. Until Tech Support opens up tomorrow does anyone have suggestions?

EDIT - multiple computers, multiple cables, Ethernet and USB, all show same problem no matter where on table I engrave. I am guessing motherboard. :(

matt heinzel
04-01-2009, 8:06 AM
I'm no expert, but that happend on our M360 ULS and it turned out the tube was dead.

Phyllis Meyer
04-01-2009, 9:31 AM
The customer standing there! Just kidding, but it usually happens that way when you are trying to look for images, or you want to demonstrate...the machine decides to play games.

I would definately say the encoder strip, and I know you said you cleaned it, the slightest speck on there can cause a problem...especially if you raster a lot of wood!

Call Epilog right away in the morning. Good luck!
Phyllis:)

Joe Pelonio
04-01-2009, 9:49 AM
If the strip is clean and cable OK it could be that little board that the cable connects to. Afraid this one will have to wait for Epilog, who are now open.

One lesson, don't let the customers watch. Not only can this sort of thing happen, but they may decide that your process is "too easy" and not worth what you charge. Better to keep it a mystery.

Mike Null
04-01-2009, 9:56 AM
John

I'll bet this is a Corel issue.;)

Just kidding, Tech support is the answer.

Peck Sidara
04-01-2009, 10:18 AM
John,

I don't beleive it's encoder/encoder strip/flex cable related. The words TEST appear to be fine, the laser appears to be firing when it shouldn't.

Have you tried diffferent files?
What Corel version are you using?

I think it's a communication issue or corrupted file. I've also seen this when you're running the latest OS/Driver using an older version of CorelDraw.

Tech support's open now so they'll be able to offer suggestions. Keep us posted on your findings.

John Noell
04-01-2009, 2:07 PM
Given tickle settings (both -1) and continuous firing between raster objects Epilog Tech Support says it probably is the tube. :(
I had already tried two different computers, several different cables (both USB and Ethernet) and different parts of the table with no differences in outcome. This tube is about 18 months old.

Dan Mazurak
04-01-2009, 2:34 PM
If the strip is clean and cable OK it could be that little board that the cable connects to. Afraid this one will have to wait for Epilog, who are now open.

One lesson, don't let the customers watch. Not only can this sort of thing happen, but they may decide that your process is "too easy" and not worth what you charge. Better to keep it a mystery.

When someone asks how the laser works, I tell them it's smoke and mirrors, when they smile I keep a straight face and say, 'I'm serious'.

John Noell
04-01-2009, 3:55 PM
When the tech went to order a new tube for me his boss said he does not think it IS the tube. They had me run more tests and are now looking at the results. Could just be the controller card. Either way, even if they get it out today, it will be Monday at the earliest before it gets here and clears Customs. Sigh, angry customers. (I am supposed to engrave the pearl shell medals for an international outrigger race and the pearl shell people have not been able to give me the shells until tomorrow.)

Brian Robison
04-01-2009, 4:08 PM
John,
Are you the only laser engraver on the island? I know I try to meet other laser people just so we have an option in case something like this happens. A lot of folks aren't interested because of competition but you may meet someone and establish a working relationship with them.

John Noell
04-01-2009, 6:44 PM
John,
Are you the only laser engraver on the island? I know I try to meet other laser people just so we have an option in case something like this happens. A lot of folks aren't interested because of competition but you may meet someone and establish a working relationship with them.Yep, the only one. There is an engraver in the capital but his old Epilog Summit is not working. He has lots of CNC stuff and is the biggest in Fiji. The only other laser in Fiji I know of is used solely to cut acrylic sign letters at a big sign company. (AND they are unwilling to do anythig else with it.)

BUT - THE BIG NEWS IS: When running the "last" set of tests for Epilog Tech Support, it suddenly started working right!!!!!! Without cycling the power, I did the two critical pending jobs and they came out perfectly!!! Now I am afraid to turn it back off.

Rangarajan Saravana kumar
04-02-2009, 12:10 AM
Hi,

Curious to know...What tests made it to make it normal.. share us with if possible..

Rdgds,

Saravanakumar

John Noell
04-02-2009, 12:42 AM
I do not know what actually caused it to normalize. I had changed the tickle and laser match settings per tech support's directions and things got better but not good enough. They were still trying to figure out the symptoms and called back asking me to repeat the simple tests (text, such as two word separated by a short distance, and small rectangles, closely spaced). The previous times I got the stray lines where the laser kept firing. This last time I ran the very same file but it did not mess up. Per the instructions from tech support I repeatedly ran the very same job, from the laser (i.e., not sending it over again but just hitting "Go" repeatedly) but it simply suddenly started coming out right. I was shocked but kept repeating it and nothing was wrong anymore. I tried some more files and they worked as well. The problem has vanished for now. I think they wanted to see how consistent or inconsistent the stray lines were. If consistent, that might mean a corrupted file was received by the laser; inconsistent lines would mean that the laser was not doing the same thing each time even though the file was unchanged. The latter would mean a defective component. Previously, I was getting inconsistent results but they wanted to see it at various laser match settings. I just hope the problem does not re-occur!!!

I should add that Epilog Tech Support was awesome. They kept at it (consulting additional people back there) and kept calling back for more info. Very helpful folks!!

Brian Robison
04-02-2009, 3:22 PM
I can't imagine a better bunch for tech support.

Bob Tate
04-02-2009, 5:18 PM
Maybe the Epilog Techies should take over General Motors?

Yeah, Peck for President.

Bob

Bill Cunningham
04-02-2009, 10:17 PM
Go find yourself a can of 'freeze spray' and hit the controller board with it and try again.. It sounds like something has gone intermittent on you.. The freeze spray can pinpoint the rotten little componant