PDA

View Full Version : Need help in buying a router for my router table.

Randy Figg
07-24-2004, 9:46 PM
I made Norm's router table a few years ago and like it. I've been using my PC 690 D-handle in it. However, it is my only good router so I have to install it in the table everytime I want to use it. I'm ready to buy a router that will stay in the table all the time. I want one that the height can be adjusted easier than the 690 PC. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks,

Randy

Joe Mioux
07-24-2004, 9:54 PM
Hi Randy:

I don't know about the height adjustment issue, but for the money, Hitachi's 12V (or whatever that letter is behind the 12) big router might be the way to go. Lots of hp and something that costs around $180.00.

regards
joe

Steve King
07-24-2004, 10:26 PM
Randy,
I installed the MV-12 in my router table and am very happy with the way it works. I like the the slow start and speed control dial. I used the router raizer setup and it works just fine.
Steve

Steven Wilson
07-24-2004, 10:27 PM
Norm table. Well you need to install a Porter Cable 7518 in there. I've been using one in my Norm table for the last few years and it's fantastic. An even nicer setup is to use a PC7518 router motor in a Bench Dog lift; very stable, and very precise height setting.

John Miliunas
07-24-2004, 10:29 PM
A second vote for the Hitachi! :) I have a number of other routers to use outside the table, but the Hitachi M12V has its permanent address in the table! I also opted for one of those bent wrenches, allowing for easy access from above the table. Works super and hasn't let me down! :) IMHO, a great product at that price point! :cool:

Cecil Arnold
07-24-2004, 11:08 PM
I had a Freud that has 3 1/4 hp that was too stiff to use as a plunge that found its way into a modified Norm router table. the height adjustment that comes with it is okay for adjusting, but recently installed a Woodpeck carrage and now adjust the height from the table top.

Greg Heppeard
07-24-2004, 11:14 PM
I have a Triton 3 1/4 hp in a Bench Dog table...it works GREAT ! ! ! No lift required.

Chris Padilla
07-24-2004, 11:29 PM
I'm with Steve on the PC7518...I managed to pick up the motor only and that coupled with Woodpecker's PRL (precision router lift) is simply awesome in my router table set-up.

John Weber
07-24-2004, 11:55 PM
Randy,

It mostly depends on how much you want to spend. The Hitachi is a very good value and the big Porter Cable might be the best (at least from a heavy duty view), but almost everyone from DeWalt, Milwaukee, Bosch, Freud, etc... makes decent router that will work in your table. As you already know the real cost is in the bits, so buy what ever fits your needs best, I don't think you can really go wrong with a good quality name brand router.

John

Michael Ballent
07-25-2004, 4:06 AM
My vote would be for the Milwaukee 5625-20 3 1/2 HP router... fixed base and above the table adjustment, once you start adding lifting mechanisms on the PC etc you are starting to kiss the price of a shaper. Again, not sure what your budget is so I guess I can spend as much of your cash as I want ;)

Herb Blair
07-25-2004, 5:53 AM
The Hitachi M12V is a great value. I recently bought a reconditioned one off of EBAY for $139. I couldn't tell it from a new one. I bought it to use while my Dewalt DW625 was in for repair (I've been using it in my table for 10+ years). I was really surprised with the features and fit and finish of the Hitachi. It was much better than I had expected.
I like the Dewalt, It has been a workhorse. I had to have the bearings replaced and I think that will probably cost me more than what I paid for the Hitachi.

Mark Singer
07-25-2004, 9:18 AM
I have the Hitachi MV12 also...it is very good. I had the Freud before and it was excellent also. The varible speed and shaftlock are nice on the Hitachi... There are more expensive ones around but don't seem to offer any more or have the longevity of the Hitachi. My Hitachi CMS is about 10 years old now and runs like new...very precise. I bought the Bench Dog top and fence which are great! It sits on top of an open MDF base I made years ago....I will probably make a new base that is enclosed for better dust collection

Bob Marino
07-25-2004, 10:11 AM
A second vote for the Hitachi! :) I have a number of other routers to use outside the table, but the Hitachi M12V has its permanent address in the table! I also opted for one of those bent wrenches, allowing for easy access from above the table. Works super and hasn't let me down! :) IMHO, a great product at that price point! :cool:
John,

Can you tell us more about that bent wrench for the Hitachi? I have a Bosch 1617 in my router table and the height adjustment is a very difficult task to perform secondary to the pitting around the router's magnesiumn motor housing and body.

Bob

Michael Stafford
07-25-2004, 10:37 AM
I have two plates for my table. I have the PC 7518 on one and the Freud 3 1/4 on the other. I find the threaded height adjuster on the Freud to be slightly easier for ultrafine adjustments. Regardless of which you choose get a "big un" with variable speed. Any one have any experience with the Triton 3 1/4? I have read reviews but do not know anyone with it.

Dave Moran
07-25-2004, 10:46 AM
Randy, I have the PC7518 in my table, but to help you chose what is right for you, you may wish to check Pat Warner's site http://www.patwarner.com/selecting_router.htmlDave

Michael Ballent
07-25-2004, 4:44 PM
Bob,

Woodpeckers (the Incra guys) have them in all sorts if sizes... http://www.woodpeck.com

Jim Becker
07-26-2004, 10:46 AM
Can you tell us more about that bent wrench for the Hitachi? I have a Bosch 1617 in my router table and the height adjustment is a very difficult task to perform secondary to the pitting around the router's magnesiumn motor housing and body.
Bob, I don't know about specifics for "your" router, but I bought a couple of bent wrenches from Woodpeckers for my PC7518 and other than with the big panel cutter, they work like a champ...much easier to deal with cutter changes and with both hands above the table, too!

John Miliunas
07-26-2004, 10:55 AM
Bob, I don't know about specifics for "your" router, but I bought a couple of bent wrenches from Woodpeckers for my PC7518 and other than with the big panel cutter, they work like a champ...much easier to deal with cutter changes and with both hands above the table, too!

Bob, ditto to what Jim says, albeit mine is for the Hitachi. Got mine through Woodpeckers, though I believe I've seen the wrenches elsewhere, as well. :) :cool:

JayStPeter
07-26-2004, 11:15 AM
John,

Bob

I put an M12V in a Woodpeck plungelift and use a bent wrench. Great setup.

Bob,
I almost threw my 1617 against the wall this weekend. Then, I thought about how much I spent on the drywall :p . Instead, I spent a half hour sanding and waxing the body. So, I'm good for a couple weeks. Looking forward to the 1400.

Jay

Bob Marino
07-26-2004, 11:23 AM
I put an M12V in a Woodpeck plungelift and use a bent wrench. Great setup.

Bob,
I almost threw my 1617 against the wall this weekend. Then, I thought about how much I spent on the drywall :p . Instead, I spent a half hour sanding and waxing the body. So, I'm good for a couple weeks. Looking forward to the 1400.

Jay

Thanks guys for the advice on the wrenches.

Jay,

That's funny!

I already had the motor housing replaced earlier by Bosch, but my understanding is that the may change over to an all aluminum housing in the future to eliminate this problem. Shame about the pitting because otherwise it's a good router.

Curious, What's the link for the Woodpecker's plunge lift?

Bob

JayStPeter
07-26-2004, 12:27 PM
Curious, What's the link for the Woodpecker's plunge lift?

Bob

http://www.woodpeck.com/plungelift.html
IMO, woodpeck has some of the best insert plates in the biz. There may be some that are similar enough to be equal, but I haven't seen any nicer.

They now sell the bent wrenches as well. Just click on one of the bent wrenches and the link will show you the ones you need for the Bosch.

Jay