PDA

View Full Version : Jet jointer planer arrived

Dave Anthony
03-31-2009, 7:30 PM
This is the latest addition to the shop. So far I'm very happy with it. I've been using a 6" bench top jointer so this is quite a step up for me. The planer is also an upgrade from a Dewalt 734. Very quiet, no snipe, and the footprint is minimal. I looked at the Hammer, which seemed more industrial quality, but chose the Jet because: 1. it was $1000.00 less 2. The Hammer would have taken 3 months to deliver and most importantly to me: 3. because the jointer table tilts back at an angle it takes up more space. I rejected the Grizzley because of space considerations as well.

Doug Shepard
03-31-2009, 8:07 PM
Very nice but you forgot:
4, The color matches my shop decor:D

Can you elaborate on the difference here?

3. because the jointer table tilts back at an angle it takes up more space. ...

If the budget will ever allow, I've been seriously eyeballing a Hammer too. How do the Jet tables raise in comparison?

Dave Anthony
03-31-2009, 9:18 PM
The Hammer and the Grizzley tilt back in 2 sections, a picture is here: http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-Jointer-Planer/G0633. The infeed table on the right tilts back at an angle, meaning more space is needed for the fence. The Jet lifts straight up as a unit. My shop is a 2 car garage, so space is at a premium, especially when I'm working on a large project. I think the Hammer would be better for a professional shop, as it seemed heavy duty enough to run all day every day. The Jet seems plenty heavy duty enough for a hobbyist. The tables were coplaner & flat as delivered, & the knives were adjusted properly. I noticed a few minor things re: fit & finish such as paint runs, but nothing that effects operation. Jointer depth of cut adjustment isn't very precise, but once it's set to ~ 1/32" I'll rarely change it. The fence is as good as it needs to be, but is not exactly a marvel of engineering or the sturdiest. I just got it set up last night so I've only run a few boards through it. I have some bubinga with some serious figure & cupping, twisting, bowing issues - if it can handle that I'll be a happy camper.

Barry Vabeach
03-31-2009, 9:21 PM
Dave, I am sure you will love it. While there has been a lot of talk about insert cutterheads, I find that my Jet leaves a very nice finish. As to setting the infeed, I prefer handwheels to levers - and find that setting with a lever is a very imprecise way of doing things.

Scott Rollins
03-31-2009, 10:04 PM
Dave I have the same sitation you have. A 2 car garage for a workshop. How close to the wall can you park that beast? I have been eyeing the jet for a replacement of my shop fox 6" jointer and ridgid 13" planer.

Mike Heidrick
03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Dave, what a great looking machine! A buddy in Springfield IL just bought one, I cannot wait to see it in person.

Danny Burns
04-01-2009, 12:40 AM
Looks nice!!!!:D

I hope one day to get a combo, and build a folding table top over it, for storage, so I can maximize my shop space.
The way the tables lift together looks like a real winner.

Can you tell me if the table height adjusts in increments or if it is continuous in it's settings. I'm not a fan of tables that adjust with levers, to a predetermined amount.

Can you also tell me what is the height, and the depth from the wall for storage of the unit?

Thanks

Dave Anthony
04-01-2009, 11:38 AM
Dimensions including the mobile base: 30 " deep x 56 " wide X 53 " high (top raised in planer mode). With the top down in jointer mode the top of the fence is 41", table is at 35". Conveniently enough the frame of my bandsaw is at 35", and works nicely to extend the infeed table. Jointer depth of cut adjustment is continuous but rather crude: there is no pointer, just a label and the adjustment lever.