PDA

View Full Version : Just change "CENTER" bands?

George Browne
03-31-2009, 6:40 PM
I have about 3 dozen slimline pens and was wondering if I could convert them to COMFORT style pens by just switching out the center bands?The sizing is all the same except the center bands, just looking at the two kits.. Was wondering IF anyone has' tried " it!! Thanks,George

Allen Neighbors
03-31-2009, 7:26 PM
George, I haven't tried it, but if you have the Comfort bushings, you could give it a try.
You can make your own center bands out of contrasting wood, also. The center band has a 1/4" hole in it, to slide over the transmission. Use a 1/4" bit in the barrel trimmer, and square up a 1/4" or 3/8" length of wood, and turn it in the place of, or next to, the center bushing. Go for it!!

Billy Tallant
03-31-2009, 7:41 PM
George,

Rockler sells a pen kit called the 7mm Streamline Pen. It is just a variation off of the slimline with an oversize center band. If you can find a source to order the bands, then just buy the bushings you need.
Look at this post & it will show an example of the pen.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=108683

Or just follow Allen's idea, it will definately work.

Greg Just
03-31-2009, 8:06 PM
What I have done is to glue a contrasting piece of wood in the middle to either the top or bottom. Drill and glue the brass tube in. Square off the two ends that will touch in the middle. I do this carefully on the lathe using the pen mandrel. I don't use a center bushing. You can make the middle any size you want. I have also make a few pencils this way too, but replace the 2 small brass tubes with one long piece.

Hope this helps.

David Drickhamer
03-31-2009, 10:39 PM
I've made several the same way Greg mentioned. Works great.
Dave

Horst Hohoff
04-01-2009, 12:53 AM
I did it as Greg has said. This is what it can look like.

Greg Just
04-01-2009, 6:09 AM
I did it as Greg has said. This is what it can look like.

Horst:

I love the contrasting wood at the top and bottom in addition to the middle - nice job.