PDA

View Full Version : Is there going to be another Pen Exchange?

Tom Henry
03-31-2009, 5:26 PM
I see that there was a pen exchange last year around this time and was wondering if anyone would be interested in doing this again? I am new to pen turning and have probably turned over 20 pens now and can't get enough of it... just thought I would ask to see if anyone was going to do this again???

Tom

Benjamin Dahl
03-31-2009, 8:32 PM
Tom, I'd be up for it again if we could wait until the summer. This spring I am pretty swamped.
Ben

Tom Henry
03-31-2009, 10:07 PM
I am up so setting it up...I just need to know how the last one was organized.

Tom Henry
04-01-2009, 2:21 PM
This didn't even get a nibble from anyone??? :confused:

Bob Hallowell
04-01-2009, 7:14 PM
Tom,
this is just a guess on how some might feel, as it is how I feel. Pens are what we all start with and gives us the turning bug and we turn lots of them and love it. But then we start trying other things and love those things even more. Before long pens only get turned for an order or to replace a couple for the next show, but it's not the same to turn them anymore. That initail fun of the pen is not there.

Bob

Greg Just
04-01-2009, 8:08 PM
I organized the last pen exchange and I think those that chose to participate enjoyed the pens they received. I know the two that I received were much better than the ones I turned and it actually inspired me to do better. It would be my recommendation that you start a new thread with a title inviting those that wish to participate to put their name on the list. This is a voluntary project. Just my 2 cents

Billy Tallant
04-01-2009, 8:31 PM
Tom,

I'm new to turning myself. I started making pens back in late November. I'm not sure how many I've turned so far. But I'm still enjoying it. I haven't decided to plunge into anything else yet. The vortex still has me swirling around pens only.

I would be interested in the pen exchange if it gets off the ground.

Alan Trout
04-01-2009, 9:01 PM
Bowls a vessels are what I like to do most but I really enjoy casting pen blanks and making nice pens as well. I might be interested in doing some sort of exchange.

Alan

Tom Henry
04-01-2009, 10:38 PM
Tom,
this is just a guess on how some might feel, as it is how I feel. Pens are what we all start with and gives us the turning bug and we turn lots of them and love it. But then we start trying other things and love those things even more. Before long pens only get turned for an order or to replace a couple for the next show, but it's not the same to turn them anymore. That initail fun of the pen is not there.

Bob

I am sure I will get there but I am really enjoying pen turning right now. I thought it would be fun to do something like this and share with other Creeker's.

Mark P. Brown
04-04-2009, 4:17 AM
I have not been in any pen swaps but I would like to give it a try. Put up a post if You get it going.
Mark

Tim Cleveland
04-04-2009, 10:43 PM
I can totally relate to to you Bob, the initial fun of turning pens simply isn't there for me any more. But at the same time, if it can potentialy inspire others to up the quality of their creations, I think it would be well worth the effort.
Tom, I am pretty busy with school for now, so right now I can't promise anything, but if it can wait a couple of months, I'm all for it.

Tim

David Drickhamer
04-05-2009, 6:33 PM
I've been turning for a few years but still enjoy making pens. If there's an exchange, I'm in.
Dave

Graham Sugar
04-05-2009, 7:30 PM
Hi Dave
Sounds like a great idea
count me in
Graham

Allen Neighbors
04-05-2009, 7:35 PM
Me too!! I've been turning since 2003, but I've just recently began to turn pens. I love it. If there's a pen exchange, let me know about it.

George Morris
04-05-2009, 8:55 PM
Hi Tom I have never turned a pen! How would you like to show me how to turn a pen and I will show you how to do a Xmas tree ornament? Keep in touch. Glad to see you fell in to the turning abyss .George

Tom Henry
04-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Hi Tom I have never turned a pen! How would you like to show me how to turn a pen and I will show you how to do a Xmas tree ornament? Keep in touch. Glad to see you fell in to the turning abyss .George

George...you got a deal!!! :D