PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking at a sander....any Grizzley G0529 owners out there? Delivered!!!!!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2009, 4:45 PM
I want a spindle sander and a disk sander. I'm looking at the G0529 http://www.grizzly.com/products/Spindle-Sander/G0529

Any Creekers have one of these and if so what's your opinion?

Thanks!

Jay Brewer
03-31-2009, 10:19 PM
Hi Ken, I bought that machine when they first came out ( 3 or 4 years ago) . I sold it to a fellow creeker because I just didnt use it as much as I thought. For my type of work, an edge sander is more versatile. The machine was solid with no vibration and a nice fit and finish.

Things I would like to see improved : A door on the front with a shelf to store things would be nice. That empty cabinet is a waste of space. Also, the disk table had a little more flex than I like. I ended up putting a bolt through the pivot bracket because I didnt tilt the table. Definitely small things. I would buy that machine again if I needed it.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2009, 11:40 PM
Thanks Jay! That is the kind of review I was hoping to get. I placed my order. Here's hoping they are in stock. I have a couple of projects in the shop that would be easier with a spindle sander and I want to try my hand at segmented turning. A disk sander will make that easier.

Perry Underwood
04-01-2009, 9:42 AM
Might be this manufacturer:

http://www.maoshan.com/product_1_table.asp?id=56&ids=14&page=1

Would be interesting to know if it was made in Taiwan or China. Mao Shan is in Taiwan.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-01-2009, 9:45 AM
Perry,

The spec sheet says Country of Origin is Taiwan.

Perry Underwood
04-02-2009, 1:11 AM
Ken, thanks for the reply. My impression is that Mao Shan is one of the better manufacturers in Taiwan.

Many manufacturers in Taiwan do not sell domestically, or, if they do, sell under their own name. From my experience, Mao Shan is almost strictly OEM, although I believe they have recently allowed domestic purchases.

It may sound odd but typically woodworking machines built in Taiwan are more expensive in Taiwan than in the states. I believe it is because the market in Taiwan is not as large as in the US, so competition is not a factor in setting prices.

If you should purchase the sander please let us know what you think of it.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Well,

My Grizzly G0529 sander has shipped from their warehouse in Washington. I should have it next week.

I've had $273 worth of cherry acclimating in my shop for over a month now. My wife wanted a copy of Norm's "Martha Washington's candle stand". I'll start cutting, gluing and turning it this weekend. The new sander will get tested on this project. The sander should arrive one day next week.

Ken Fitzgerald
04-06-2009, 8:31 PM
The Fedex freight guy delivered it onto my carport. I'll bet he would have placed it in the shop if I had requested it.

I was giving a turning tool sharpening lesson to a new turner so I waited until we were done and then I opened the box.

I took the stand to the shop and assembled it. My neighbor came over and we moved the sander to the shop and bolted it to the stand. The sander arrived in good condition...I fired it up and boys and girls I think I got my money's worth. I am in the process of making a table for the LOML and I have the need to use both the disk sander and the spindle sander multiple times. I review it after the project is done but my initial impression is good!

Dave Lehnert
04-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Pic Police?????

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2009, 12:17 AM
Dave...I'll try to get some photos tomorrow. I went out this evening and used a little mineral spirits and paper towels and cleaned off the ground cast iron tables. I'm impressed. They look pretty good. Then I decided I'd screw on a spindle and give it a test drive without sanding any wood (I don't have the adapter yet to connect it to my DC) so.....after struggling without getting any of the spindles screwed in.....it dawned on "Dummy" .....Yep...you can see it coming....Those spindles are reversed threaded. Once dummy looked at the threads on the spindles....and realized what he was looking at....they screwed in nicely. I turned it on ...that one horsepower motor sure purrs!

Jim Kountz
04-07-2009, 8:15 AM
Pic Police?????

Dave, have you seen a sander? I hear talk of a sander but I cant see one? Where's the sander??:D:D

Steve Clardy
04-07-2009, 2:48 PM
No sander here that I can see.....:confused: Ha

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2009, 9:34 PM
Here's photographic proof.............

Jim Kountz
04-07-2009, 9:53 PM
See guys I knew we could believe ol Ken!! LOL
Looks like a really nice piece of iron there Ken, I definitely need to upgrade my spindle sander so I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how this one works out for you.

Craig Nickles
04-07-2009, 10:02 PM
What sander? I HEARD someone talking about a sander.....but I aint SEEN a sander!

Steve Clardy
04-07-2009, 10:06 PM
Here's photographic proof.............

Well....it's about time!! :p

Nice looking sander Ken ;):D:D

Ken Fitzgerald
04-07-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm sure glad they don't charge for the free harassment around here. I'd be more in debt than turning keeps me!:confused: