PDA

View Full Version : Party School

John Lohmann
03-31-2009, 1:27 PM
My son got accepted for grad school at FSU for chemistry, I thought it was a school for good times. I can't understand what he is studying for. Here is an excerpt.

Describing electron- and energy-transfer processes in nanoscale systems is critical not only for understanding fundamental energy redistribution mechanisms in nanoscopic media, but also for developing next-generation devices based on these technologies.
Research in the Knappenberger group involves understanding these processes in nanoscale assemblies through development and implementation of novel optical spectroscopy techniques, including single-molecule and time-resolved methods. The resulting detailed chemical information will address critical issues in nanoscale chemical physics and single-molecule analytical chemistry and direct the assembly of carefully designed nanoscale architectures.

If you care here is the link
http://www.chem.fsu.edu/bio.php?id=758

Dave Verstraete
03-31-2009, 4:18 PM
What was it that just flew over my head??:D

Sounds way too serious for a party school!

mike holden
03-31-2009, 4:37 PM
John,
If it helps any, substitute "molecular" for "nano".
Basically, this is the creation of molecular machines, self-powered, and pre-programmed. This is the future of medicine, molecule sized "robots" will enter your body and fight off infections and disease, repairing as they go.
My chem degree is almost forty years old now and back then we did not dream of these things. Amazing new world.
Mike

Belinda Barfield
03-31-2009, 5:34 PM
. . . molecule sized "robots" will enter your body and fight off infections and disease, repairing as they go.
Mike

Well there you go, now we're back to the party connection. Can you imagine having your own little "robot" that will "repair" your hangover? Now that is a serious party school! One we like to refer to as Free Shoes U. :D

Graham Wilson
03-31-2009, 6:07 PM
My son got accepted for grad school at FSU for chemistry, I thought it was a school for good times. I can't understand what he is studying for. Here is an excerpt.

Don't worry. My father didn't understand what I did my MSc or PhD in either ;)

When you get to graduate work, you weigh the reputation of the school AND that of the professor you are working under as both have an impact on your future career. Research statements are deliberately vague and all encompassing. For the first 2 years he'll be mostly doing course work in preparation for his prelims/comps. Eventually, he will distinguish himself either as a laser jock or a code monkey. If you are looking to get him a present, look here (http://www.phdcomics.com/store/mojostore.php).

Chris Kennedy
03-31-2009, 8:49 PM
The undergraduate reputation of a school ("PAR-TAY") has nothing to do with the graduate side. It's a whole new ballgame.

Tell him to make certain that his funding is assured as long as he is making progress. He doesn't want to get through his first couple of years of coursework just to find out that support either through TA'ships or his potential reseach advisor has dried up. (DAMHIKT).

Give him my best wishes. Oh, and buy him a coffee/espresso maker if he doesn't have one already. He'll want one in short order.

Cheers,

Chris

Chuck Saunders
04-01-2009, 8:48 AM
Don't worry. My father didn't understand what I did my MSc or PhD in either ;)

My dad's only comment after reading my Masters thesis was that he didn't care for the font I used.