PDA

View Full Version : Euro hinges--dlawless hardware

Jeremy Bracey
07-24-2004, 9:13 PM
First, I have never used Euro style hinges before. I am preparing to build vanities and cabinets for our soon to be built new house. I would like to use "hidden" hinges and have been looking through the rockler catalog at BLUM hinges. WOW do they get expensive. I cant remember who gave me the link but I was directed towards Dlawless hardware online. Have any of you ever used thier hinges. Thier about a buck a pair! (for 1/2 overlay face frame hinges).

Also, any advice on installing this type of hinge?

I have been visiting this site frequently for the last three months but this is only my second post. Thanks for the help!

Jeremy
Fort Wayne, IN

John Miliunas
07-24-2004, 10:11 PM
Hey Jeremy...Vanities and cabinets for a new house? Quite the undertaking! Best of luck with that! I haven't used the vendor you mention, nor have I had the "privelege" of using Blum hinges, though I hear they're the best. As it happens, though, I did just do some cabs/vanities for our bathroom and tested the waters on Euro-style hinges. Didn't take long for me to fall in love with these critters! :o Nice results and relatively easy to install, even for old "Ten-Thumbs" over here! :rolleyes:

It sounds like you'll be doing LOTS of them. In that case, I would probably check out Rockler ( http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=5878 ) and get setup with their "Jig It" gear. I used their drill guide, mounting plate guide and 35mm drill bit with great results. :) BTW, the hinges I bought, came in a 10-pack at one of the Big Box stores and were pretty reasonable. Checking the prices at the vendor you mention, may make it worth your while to just order a set or two and play with them to see how you like them and what quality they really are. (If they're any good, please, let the rest of us know! :D ) Good luck with your project! :cool:

Jamie Buxton
07-24-2004, 11:14 PM
Yes, Rockler's prices for cup hinges are higher than some other sources. I get mine from www.wwhardware.com. They have the full program of Blum hinges -- lots more than Rockler --- and for much lower prices. I use Blum rather than cheap imports (ie what HD stocks) for two reasons: I know Blum is seriously in this business, and seriously wants to build a good product; and Blum has all the options so I can do darn near anything. I know that all the options in cup hinges may be confusing at first, but have faith, it does make sense after you study it a while. The wwhardware printed catalog has loads of support info, and the web site probably has it too. If you get stuck, post questions here. There's lots of help available.

Todd Burch
07-24-2004, 11:54 PM
Jeremy, I haven't used a whole lot of these type hinges, but the more I do use them on cabinetry, the more I like them. Typically, I'll use a butt hinge... no adjustment, lots of mortising, no forgiveness. With the euro hinges, you drill a hole (drill press prefereably, with a table set up with a rear fence), screw them in, mount the face frame (or frameless) blocks, clip them on (I use the clip on style), and you are done.

Eeeeeeasy.

Roger Kirkpatrick
07-25-2004, 12:07 PM
Hi jeremy,
I'm new to this forum too, but not new to Euro hinges. I use hundreds of them a month.
I have jigs set up for boring the holes for the cups (1 3/8 bit work fine) and a jig for locating the plate on the face frame. I use only Blumm now, they are the best and easiest to adjust when installing them which makes them faster to use. Blumm has a spec book on all there hinge products. See if you can get your hands on that. All dim. are in mm and I don't remember what they are for standard 1/2" overlay face frame hinges to locate the cup hole from the edge of the door. (3mm rings a bell).
You need to have your doors 1" larger than the openning (for 1/2" overlay) I locate the plate 3" from the edge of the openning (top and bottom) and the cup 3 1/2" from the egde of the door. The plates have 2 small hooks to locate them from on the face (in and out of the openning). The screws to use are #6 x 5/8" for the plates and the cups. When drilling for the cups in the door (on a drill press) I don't drill for the screws. I install the hinges in the door then take a straight edge against the back of both hinges to line them up. Then with a vix bit I drill for the screws.
Hope this helps.

Joseph N. Myers
07-25-2004, 12:44 PM
Jeremy,

Welcome to the forum.

You also may want to keep Custom Service Hardware, 800-882-0009, www.schardware.com (http://www.schardware.com) in mind. I know a lot of people on the forum including myself order from them. Their prices are excellent. I've never used Euro hinges so I can't comment on them except that Custom Service does sells them.

BTW, you may want to consider adding your city/state to your profile --- many times the answer given depends on where you live, i.e., interested in buying wood and/or someone may live by you that might have the knowledge or equipment that you need. Mind you, only a suggestion.

Regards, Joe

Kurt Aebi
07-26-2004, 7:59 AM
Welcome aboard Jeremy,

I did me kitchen cabinets with this type of hinge. I used hinges made by Liberty Hardware and were available from Home Depot for less than $15.00 for 10 pair. I used 5/8" Overlay, 110° for all of my doors. Definitely get the "Jig-It" from Rockler (I did and never regretted it) the d'lawless hinges look pretty much like the same thing as I got. I have had my kitchen done for about 8 years now and aside from occasionally haveing to chesk the adjustment screws for tightness and some sight adjustments required from the normal wood movement - thay have been just fine. My father's cabinets (Kraft Maid) have Blum hinges and his have held up pretty much the same as mine, so I don't see a need to pay the extra for the name "Blum". I say go with them and either buy or make a jig and you will be alright.

Oh yea, you will need a good 35mm Forstner Bit!

larry merlau
07-26-2004, 9:13 AM
[QUOTE=John Miliunas] Didn't take long for me to fall in love with these critters! :o Nice results and relatively easy to install, even for old "Ten-Thumbs" over here! :rolleyes:

hey john i have looked at them as well and have a kitchen to do, i was kinda concerned about the deep recess they use. i know the major companys all use them now days but i was just being careful, have a crooked kitchen to contend with and wanted to do it right and solide. am a firm believer in building it stought if in doubt.
any other ideas or tid bits of wisdom for northern neighbor?

John Miliunas
07-26-2004, 9:42 AM
hey john i have looked at them as well and have a kitchen to do, i was kinda concerned about the deep recess they use. i know the major companys all use them now days but i was just being careful, have a crooked kitchen to contend with and wanted to do it right and solide. am a firm believer in building it stought if in doubt.
any other ideas or tid bits of wisdom for northern neighbor?

Larry, I'm by NO means a "pro" with this stuff, but if *I* can find them easy to use, pretty much *anyone* can! If you keep your stile and rail stock to 3/4", you won't have any problems. The ones I used were 1/2" overlay on to the face frames. From what I understand, they're not as adjustable as the Blum's, but gave me enough for what I needed. If your cabinet and doors are square to begin with and the doors sized properly, little adjustment will be needed. The ones I did are in a bathroom, hence wide humidity swings and thus far, (knock on wood,) no probs with the original adjustments. :) I used pocket holes (Kregg jig) and glue for the face frames and all is quite stout. The main cabinet supports a 2x4', 2" thick slab of acrylic, plus two more upright cabinets, resting directly on top of the slab! :rolleyes: I did reinforce the back side of the cabinet with some Oak laterals to help prevent racking, but otherwise, pretty straightforward construction. :cool: