PDA

View Full Version : Hello from another newbie!!

Karen Thompson
03-31-2009, 12:09 PM
Hi
Well, I have to admit I've been lurking for a little while now and thought it about time I should say hello to everyone... so Hi :).

I live in Ireland and I am taking delivery of a laser shortly - I'm actually going to the UK this weekend to collect it. So I'm very excited and can't wait "have a play":D.

I came across this forum quite by chance (thank heavens for google!!) and I have to say what a great place. The support is brilliant and so friendly.

Keep it up guys.

Karen

Joe Pelonio
03-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Welcome, and try to catch up on your sleep before it comes. You'll have so much fun that you'll be staying up late playing with it.:D

Steve Clarkson
03-31-2009, 12:14 PM
Welcome Karen!

I'm in charge of scheduling our get togethers.....so I just added you to the list. So we're all coming to Ireland in August and staying at your house.

Karen Thompson
03-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Welcome Karen!

I'm in charge of scheduling our get togethers.....so I just added you to the list. So we're all coming to Ireland in August and staying at your house.

Thanks guys.

Lol Steve absolutely no problem....... in fact after having read some of your posts I reckon I might have found a great shopping partner:D.

Dee Gallo
03-31-2009, 12:17 PM
Welcome indeed, Karen, you probably already see that this is a very friendly and helpful place to spend time. Full of wise guys too!

I'm sure you will be having too much fun very soon and burning everything you can get your hands on.

Cheers, dee

Steve: can we stop at Frank's on the way to Karens?

Steve Clarkson
03-31-2009, 12:23 PM
Dee, If you would go to the bathroom BEFORE we go, then we won't have to stop on the way.

Karen, I've always wanted to try engraving Belleek china!!!!!!! I may have to move you up to April.......

Karen Thompson
03-31-2009, 12:28 PM
Hello Dee and thanks for the warm welcome.

Put it this way, my other half has been rolling his eyes for a while now because all I've been saying recently is "I wonder if that's laserable or I wonder if that'll work?"

Mmmm...... I think he's about to find out:D.

We get back from the UK on Sunday (with machine in tow) and I think by Monday evening he's gonna be shocked to come home from work to find I've raided his workshop and everythings been lasered:eek:.

Karen

Dan Hintz
03-31-2009, 12:29 PM
At this rate, no engraver will ever have to starve or go without shelter if they decide to travel anywhere in the world... we have move locales locked down :)

Anyone is welcome to stop by my place, but be prepared to have fun, and I hope you don't mind snoring if I wear myself out. :D

Phyllis Meyer
03-31-2009, 1:00 PM
Glad to have you, and you are welcome to come to Wisconsin (we are having freezing rain right at the moment, but in a few months all the snow should be gone...come on over)!

This is a great site, enjoy all your reading, and of course...welcome to another woman! We love the guys but female input keeps them on their toes...check out the Off Topic Section:).

Sincerely,
Phyllis

Brian Robison
03-31-2009, 3:04 PM
Welcome Karen, I hope to make it to Ireland one day.
And Scotland (Ft William) in May sounds good too!!!

John Noell
03-31-2009, 4:24 PM
Fiji is a fantastic place to visit! (And a great place to teach me some better ways.) :)

Brian Robison
03-31-2009, 4:28 PM
Is Truman there?

Steve Clarkson
03-31-2009, 5:01 PM
Fiji is a fantastic place to visit! (And a great place to teach me some better ways.) :)

Man......Ireland, Fiji, possibly the UK if Frank is willing to teach me how to flame polish......I can travel the world for FREE!!!!!!!! And who said buying a laser wasn't worth it!

Karen Thompson
03-31-2009, 5:14 PM
Well thank you everyone for such a nice welcome.

I have to say Dan, don’t worry, where I live “no one will hear you snore” :eek:(sounds a bit like something from a horror movie).... erm it’s rather quiet where I am!!

Phyllis - Wisconsin sounds like home from home!!! Maybe one day I’ll be able to see for myself;).

Oohhhhh!!!! Fiji – when you live in a cold wet place like here that sounds such a dream – maybe when I win the lottery:rolleyes:.

If any of you do come to Ireland - make sure you don't just visit Dub make sure to come out west:D

Karen

Belinda Barfield
03-31-2009, 5:29 PM
Karen,

I'm a little late, but welcome! As noted, Steve is tour director. We have yet to have a volunteer to referee when Dee and Frank start fighting over the front seat on the way to your house. These are great folks here. I look forward to seeing your work. Oh, and don't bother trying to laser the cat, it ain't worth the clean up and the fur will be on your optics for DAYS! :D It's a bit of a long way, but you are welcome to join Phyllis at my Wild Wacky Wonderful Women Fall Flirt (with nature) 2009. You ladies just missed the Spring Fling. I considered burning one of the photos of the event but the laser just locked up and refused to engrave such garbage!:eek:

Again, welcome!

Jani Pedersen
03-31-2009, 6:00 PM
Hi Karen

good to see another newbie lady on board :)

Where are you going in the UK ? You will be so frustrated having to wait to get home with your machie, when I picked mine up we were in our motorhome and I was sooooooo tempted to say * can we just stop here overnight so I can have a go * ? I resisted though.

Brian - Ft William - we'll be up there for two weeks in May, heading out to Loch Lomond, then up to Skye, then back down to Kinlochlevan / Loch Linnhe and Fort William. My other half did the 'West Highland Way Walk' the year before last and we loved it up there., so this year we're taking out westies up to find their roots !

If there is to be a lasermeet count me in ! Have motorhome will travel - plenty of room to carry the party supplies :D

Karen Thompson
03-31-2009, 6:28 PM
Hi Karen

Where are you going in the UK ? You will be so frustrated having to wait to get home with your machie, when I picked mine up we were in our motorhome and I was sooooooo tempted to say * can we just stop here overnight so I can have a go * ? I resisted though.

Brian - Ft William - we'll be up there for two weeks in May, heading out to Loch Lomond, then up to Skye, then back down to Kinlochlevan / Loch Linnhe and Fort William. My other half did the 'West Highland Way Walk' the year before last and we loved it up there., so this year we're taking out westies up to find their roots !

If there is to be a lasermeet count me in ! Have motorhome will travel - plenty of room to carry the party supplies :D

Hi Jani
Well, we're killing 2 birds with one stone as they say - will be staying in Manchester with family (it's where we're from originally - well someone has to come from there:rolleyes:) but collecting machine from out Yorkshire way - hopefully the weekend will fly by so I can get "playing" when we get home:D.

James & Zelma Litzmann
03-31-2009, 6:50 PM
Welcome from Texas to the forum, you will find the greatest people around right here at Sawmill Creek.

Dan Hintz
03-31-2009, 8:07 PM
Oh, and don't bother trying to laser the cat, it ain't worth the clean up and the fur will be on your optics for DAYS! :D
Not to mention the claw marks take weeks to properly heal!

Carrol Fleming
04-01-2009, 3:24 AM
Steve - you can add me to the world tour itinerary, a stop off on a farm in Zambia on the way to visit Justin and Rodne and the other South Africans.

Welcome to your new addiction Karen.

Carrol :)

Frank Corker
04-01-2009, 5:11 AM
Hi Karen, somehow or other I've missed this welcome, so please excuse me. Welcome to SMC. How are you shipping your machine to Ireland are you going to take it on the Roll on Roll off at Birkenhead?

Karen Thompson
04-01-2009, 6:05 AM
Hi Karen, somehow or other I've missed this welcome, so please excuse me. Welcome to SMC. How are you shipping your machine to Ireland are you going to take it on the Roll on Roll off at Birkenhead?

Hi Frank,
We are travelling in style in the van thru Holyhead (booked the fast one so we can get the new toy quicker lol). I don't think I can handle the 7 or so hr sailing to Birkenhead - I'm not a big fan of boats!!

I just noticed you're in the Wirral - so I'll wave over to you as we're travelling down the A55/M56:D

Alexa Ristow
04-01-2009, 7:41 AM
Anytime you guys feel like coming down really far south - let us know - sunny South Africa awaits - we have mountains sea and wine farms and plenty of laserable material !!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Brian Robison
04-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Hi Karen

Scotland in May is all about the SSDT. Scottish Six Day Trial.
Any how, welcome, if you own a laser and aren't on SMC your missng the BEST source on the web.

Jani Pedersen
04-01-2009, 11:28 AM
Scotland in May is all about the SSDT. Scottish Six Day Trial.

Yup that's why we're heading to Skye for a few days before going back down to Kinlochlevan as the bikes are have full priority that weekend before heading back to Fort William.

We have a tuktuk, red with multi-coloured designs on it - think we could join in ?

Belinda Barfield
04-01-2009, 11:35 AM
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like they need to learn a new language before we go on this whirlwind tour? :o

Jacob Hebert
04-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Yup that's why we're heading to Skye for a few days before going back down to Kinlochlevan as the bikes are have full priority that weekend before heading back to Fort William.

We have a tuktuk, red with multi-coloured designs on it - think we could join in ?

Are those Westies in the seat? :eek: Just curious!

Brian Robison
04-01-2009, 11:43 AM
I just read back through Jani's post and she says they are westies. Look like dogs to me! (Just Kidding, my neighbor has a westie).
Jani, where are you from and how is Jani pronounced?

Jacob Hebert
04-01-2009, 11:47 AM
Oh, cool. :D My mother owns a Westie, and yep, it's a dog! :p

On another note, I'm glad to see everyone's so accepting of the "newbies". Makes me glad to (relatively) be one. :D

Jani Pedersen
04-01-2009, 11:56 AM
Westies they are, in their 'doggles' to protect their eyes when out in the tuktuk. They are VERY well photographed I can tell you :p

Brian I live in West Sussex near Brighton. Jani is pronounced like Annie with a J or Jahnee short and crisp (often mispronounced as Jaynee or Jenny.)

The westies are Bob and Myrtle - cool doods :cool:

Totally agree with you Jacob, it is so friendly here that I have already become a contributor - long may it continue

Danny Thompson
04-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Ireland! I was just there for 2 weeks! Beautiful weather. Got there the day before St. Paddy's. Discovered Bulmers. Saw the Cliffs of Moher. How about that Grand Slam!?

Are there any good woodworking shops/sites in Dublin?

Jani Pedersen
04-01-2009, 12:36 PM
Westies they are, in their 'doggles' to protect their eyes when out in the tuktuk. They are VERY well photographed I can tell you :p

Brian I live in West Sussex near Brighton. Jani is pronounced like Annie with a J or Jahnee short and crisp (often mispronounced as Jaynee or Jenny.)

The westies are Bob and Myrtle - cool doods :cool:

Totally agree with you Jacob, it is so friendly here that I have already become a contributor - long may it continue

Jani Pedersen
04-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Is it just me, or does anyone else feel like they need to learn a new language before we go on this whirlwind tour? :o

Belinda I've been told I talk double dutch, will that help ? :eek:

Dan Hintz
04-01-2009, 12:46 PM
I know someone who can skip double dutch, does that count?

Belinda Barfield
04-01-2009, 1:41 PM
Belinda I've been told I talk double dutch, will that help ? :eek:

It's not just you, Jani! I'm from the southern part of the U.S. Down here we don't even speak English, we speak 'Merican - a very garbled form of English. I'm learning lots of new works and phrases in this thread. If double dutch is what I need to learn I'll be speaking it fluently by the time we go on the world tour! :D

Dee Gallo
04-01-2009, 2:57 PM
Belinda,

Don't feel badly - My parents lived in Houston a long time ago and they had friends who were absolutely unintelligible. Have you ever heard a Texas drawl with a FOB Chinese accent from a person who just got braces? Impossible.

I've been asking Frank for British to American translations - I hardly ever know what some people are talking about!:rolleyes:

cheers, dee

Brian Robison
04-01-2009, 3:13 PM
I used to keep a note book on southern words and phrases (being originally from upstate NY).

Mike Null
04-01-2009, 4:51 PM
Brian

Having spoken with you frequently it's obvious to me that you're from southern upstate New York.

Karen Thompson
04-01-2009, 5:25 PM
My word............... what a thread this has turned out to be:D.

I think by the look of things I'm sure gonna be glad I joined in and I haven't even picked anybody's brains yet (don't panic that'll come probably from Monday onwards when I've got my new toy plugged in and ready to go:)).

Danny - hope you enjoyed our Paddy's Day celebrations - you picked a good time weatherwise to be here it was "grand" as they say.

So... when does the world tour start??? Maybe we should all put up photos of where we live (a kind of "virtual world tour":D).

Karen

Steven Wallace
04-01-2009, 6:41 PM
I just wish I could afford the airfare because it sounds like we could definitely take part in the "This is my shop" tour. You are welcome to my little shop of horrors if you get out to Arizona. If you are use to cool climates or hot and humid, try us... Lucifer vacations here during the summer. But it is a dry heat! Again Welcome! I don't believe I caught the brand of laser you are picking up but you can take the front panel off the epilog for tattoo removal. I just haven't had many clients request the service.

Steve Clarkson
04-01-2009, 11:08 PM
OMG.......who needs kids to visit when you can literally travel all over the world visiting laser friends!!!!!!!

South Africa........HERE WE COME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott Erwin
04-02-2009, 12:33 AM
Hello Dee and thanks for the warm welcome.

Put it this way, my other half has been rolling his eyes for a while now because all I've been saying recently is "I wonder if that's laserable or I wonder if that'll work?"

Mmmm...... I think he's about to find out:D.

We get back from the UK on Sunday (with machine in tow) and I think by Monday evening he's gonna be shocked to come home from work to find I've raided his workshop and everythings been lasered:eek:.

Karen

Karen,
Welcome to SMC...and as far as looking "Is this laserable?" I just look at it this way...No harm in trying, well usually (no PVC or such)...and if you hold down the neighbor's cat/dog good enough you can get real clean lines, if not then just say it was a bad scan...hehehe

Andrea Weissenseel
04-02-2009, 3:23 AM
Welcome Karen,

I also made 3 red crosses on the calendar, the day I found this VERY friendly and helpfull place :D

Hihi, this sounds really familiar to me :rolleyes: I have my laser since November and it still hasn't stopped lol

Andrea