PDA

View Full Version : Freud FT1702

Bud Olsen
03-31-2009, 11:30 AM
Hello

I was wondering if anyone had purchased the Freud FT1702 router and had a problem with the router insert template from Freud?

Thanks
Bud

Dave Sweeney
03-31-2009, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the very timely question? I'm just about ready to drill out an insert for my router table using that template. I've been holding off doing it because of a little voice in the back of my head that keeps telling me that I've read somewhere that the supplied template isn't accurate.

Hopefully someone will post their experience or Charles M will chime in with some feedback.

Bud Olsen
03-31-2009, 2:08 PM
Dave

I did try the template that I got from Freud and it is NOT accurate, I took my plate and template to machine shop to have it done, so now I have a ($100.00) Woodpecker aluminum insert plate that I can not use!

Bill White
03-31-2009, 2:21 PM
Dave

I did try the template that I got from Freud and it is NOT accurate, I took my plate and template to machine shop to have it done, so now I have a ($100.00) Woodpecker aluminum insert plate that I can not use!
Sounds like a question for our bguy Charles M.
Bill :confused:

Bud Olsen
03-31-2009, 2:30 PM
Sounds like a question for our bguy Charles M.
Bill :confused:

Bill

I think this will be a good one for Charles M. :eek:

Bud

Charles McCracken
03-31-2009, 2:43 PM
Hello

I was wondering if anyone had purchased the Freud FT1702 router and had a problem with the router insert template from Freud?

Thanks
Bud

As far as I know there are no issues with the included template. Just be sure that you orient it correctly.

Bud Olsen
03-31-2009, 3:11 PM
As far as I know there are no issues with the included template. Just be sure that you orient it correctly.

Charles

The guys from Freud e-mailed me the template, it was a new copy that was turned! and it dose not work for this router.

Charles McCracken
03-31-2009, 5:05 PM
Charles

...and it dose not work for this router.

What do you mean that it does not work? Be aware that a PDF file will try to fit to the margins of your printer by default so you may need to uncheck this option in the Print dialogue before printing. And then you should check the scale by measuring the printed scales on the template.

Dave Sweeney
03-31-2009, 5:06 PM

Charles, can you tell me what the 7/16" hole on the template at the approx. 10 o'clock position, when you look at the printed template, is for?

Charles McCracken
03-31-2009, 5:15 PM
I don't have one in front of me but if I recall correctly there should be two that are 7/16": one for the height lock and the other for height adjust.

Dave Sweeney
03-31-2009, 6:33 PM
There are three hole on the template that are 7/16". If you could find out what that third one is for that would be great.

Bud Olsen
03-31-2009, 7:33 PM
Charles

I did check to make sure that the template was the same size per Mike at Freud. The problem with the template is the 3 mount holes do not match up to the mount holes of the router.

Dave

The other hole is so you can lock the arbor, so you only need one wrench to do a bit change.

Charles McCracken
04-01-2009, 8:30 AM
Bud,

I am really sorry to hear of the problem and I hope that I do not come across as argumentative when I say that there are many possible explanations for the misalignment but that I do not think the accuracy of the template in the file is one of them. We use that drawing regularly to drill plates with excellent results. I believe that the most likely cause is the quality of the print. The scales printed on the sheet are good for verifying that the printer scaled the drawing properly but they can't ensure that the entire print is flawless. It is advisable with any printed template that you make a test in scrap material.