PDA

View Full Version : Laminate flooring uses...

Craig Moulton
03-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Anyone ever use it for other than walking on?

I'm wondering about using it for the tops of an extension table, TS inserts, stuff like that. I know that I can use it for the bottom of my miter sled. It's tough, slippery, what's not to like....

Any thoughts? It's tough to find melamine ply and the like where I live (special order).

Barry Vabeach
03-31-2009, 1:39 PM
I used it for the top of an assembly / finishing table. Glue and excess finish come off easy. I also used it to make a zero clearance insert for the table saw.

Jason White
03-31-2009, 2:17 PM
If you have scraps left over from a flooring job, then it's a great (and cheap) way to go. Stable and the factory-applied finish is tough as nails.

Anyone ever use it for other than walking on?

I'm wondering about using it for the tops of an extension table, TS inserts, stuff like that. I know that I can use it for the bottom of my miter sled. It's tough, slippery, what's not to like....

Any thoughts? It's tough to find melamine ply and the like where I live (special order).

Darius Ferlas
03-31-2009, 2:24 PM
ZCI, workbench and router top, TS extensions

Bob Fraser
03-31-2009, 2:45 PM
I used some of my leftover to surface a router table fence that had to be extra long. Worked out just fine.

Jack Ellis
03-31-2009, 2:52 PM
I've tried this and it appears ordinary wood glues don't work well. What's the best way to attach flooring to a substrate like MDF or ply.

Hal Peeler
03-31-2009, 3:13 PM
I used it as a top for the stand that my Jet mini is on. As far as attaching it, I just put screws right through it.

Chris Padilla
03-31-2009, 4:07 PM
I've tried this and it appears ordinary wood glues don't work well. What's the best way to attach flooring to a substrate like MDF or ply.

Jack,

Why do you want to attach it to a substrate?

As to wood glue not working, I suppose it depends on the substrate of the flooring. If it is plywood, it should work fine. How are you clamping?

Jules Dominguez
03-31-2009, 10:49 PM
I attached some to 1/2" sheathing with construction adhesive (the stuff in a tube like calking compound). You do a single panel at a time, which lets you press it down pretty well with your hands and body weight when you place it. I may have weighted it with bricks or something after that but I don't remember for sure. My application was a 6'x4' panel to use on top of carpet for a swivel chair in my computer room. I used a red oak pattern and trimmed the panel with real red oak and it was a perfect match. (I attached the red oak trim with Gorilla glue). It's held up well.

James Ireland
04-01-2009, 1:05 AM
I second the construction adhesive for gluing it to a substrate. PL Premium bonded really well for me