PDA

View Full Version : It's just good fun 'til someone breaks out the karaoke machine!

Belinda Barfield
03-31-2009, 9:03 AM
Some of you may recall my post from Thanksgiving regarding my aunt, Jan, who has terminal pancreatic cancer, and how best to make the holiday a joyful one, rather than a somber one. I received a lot of great advice from many of you, particularly along the lines of enjoying every minute we have left. I took your advice to heart over Thanksgiving, and have done my best to carry that over into every day.

Twice a year some gal pals and I retreat to some wooded area where we can let our hair down without injuring innocent bystanders. The weekend of March 20th was the Wild Wacky Wonderful Women Spring Fling 2009. I decided to invite Jan and her two sisters (my aunts as well, of course). One aunt brought the Margarita machine, and Jan brought the Karaoke machine. No one got hurt . . . well maybe some ears were still ringing the next day.

To those of you who shared your advice to live life to the fullest while we can, I just want to say thank you with all my heart. We had a big celebration of life and love, and it was awesome!

Now, pics for proof. Where we landed, the group before the Margaritas, and after the party cranked up. Yep, that's my family all right!

Phyllis Meyer
03-31-2009, 9:48 AM
Hey there Belinda, (and I got even more pictures than the 3 she posted) Tequilla really does make your clothes fall off...:D

You gals had a wonderful time, and the memories you all made are priceless...especially for the gal with cancer! Being together, laughing, singing, and surrounded by God's beautiful landscape...what more is there to say! I'm there this fall, let me know where and when!

Phyllis:)

Rod Sheridan
03-31-2009, 11:42 AM
Wonderful post Belinda...........regards, Rod.

Dave Anderson NH
03-31-2009, 12:58 PM
Looks like a good time was had by all. Fortunately the pictures will fill in for those who can't remembr anything. As for Karaoke, someone once told me that the true meaning of the word was "self-inflicted humiliation".:D

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2009, 1:29 PM
Belinda - looks like everyone had a wonderful time! Thanks for sharing!

Belinda Barfield
03-31-2009, 2:21 PM
As for Karaoke, someone once told me that the true meaning of the word was "self-inflicted humiliation".:D

I believe you are right . . . that would have been my solo rendition of "Joy to the World" (the one about the bullfrog - not Christmas), or possibly a duet of "Stand By Your Man". I'm not sure which was worse!

Dave Verstraete
03-31-2009, 4:22 PM
I believe you are right . . . that would have been my solo rendition of "Joy to the World" (the one about the bullfrog - not Christmas), or possibly a duet of "Stand By Your Man". I'm not sure which was worse!

We're waiting for the youtube link:D

Ken Fitzgerald
03-31-2009, 4:29 PM
Congrats Belinda!

Booze....Women and Karaoke.....I'll bet it got ugly!

And in years to come.....you'll look back with tears in your eyes.....and chuckles.....and both will be good!

Belinda Barfield
03-31-2009, 4:50 PM
We're waiting for the youtube link:D

Lord Dave, the world just ain't ready for that kinda' talent. Why they'd just cancel the rest of the season of American Idol! Videos were expressly forbidden. It was bad enough to see the stills, but to see us all in motion is more than most folks are prepared for! The next show to go would be Dancing with the Stars . . . or was that Dancing on Bars . . . I can't quite remember.

Congrats Belinda!

Booze....Women and Karaoke.....I'll bet it got ugly!

And in years to come.....you'll look back with tears in your eyes.....and chuckles.....and both will be good!

Ugly doesn't begin to describe it. It was a "Ya Ya" get together, modeled very loosely after the movie "Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood". My sweet little cousin Dana was driving the big white bus at about three a.m. I was sitting in the bathroom floor with her when she picked up her head and sobbed "I don't want to be a Ya Ya, I just want to be a ma ma." I laughed until I cried. Okay, I wasn't going to share my headwear created especially for the weekend, but what the heck. . .

All joking aside, it was ugly and it was beautiful. We did a lot of laughing, and hugging, and crying.

As a plus, before the weekend kicked off I even got to meet a fellow Creeker, Steve Mellott. He and his lovely wife Mary met me at the park to pick up some things I had for him. They are a delightful couple and a very good first "Creeker" meet.

Leigh Costello
04-01-2009, 1:14 AM
Belinda, It looks like a wonderful time was had by all. And now that you have posted the evidence here, we know that you are a first rate party girl! Keep laughing, cuz when you laugh the world laughs with you. From one party girl to another, knockers up!

Mark Norman
04-01-2009, 1:39 AM
You can never have too much fun...

Thanks for sharing Belida. Looks like fun, wish I was there:p

Phyllis Meyer
04-01-2009, 10:56 AM
There's your challenge boys...who can come up with a cool hat for your next gathering? Be creative!

Belinda Barfield
04-01-2009, 11:46 AM
There's your challenge boys...who can come up with a cool hat for your next gathering? Be creative!

The hats were fun! I worked on mine for weeks. In the photo I'm gluing on some mica flakes I found in the park. The idea was to make a hat that tells the story of who you are and how you came to be at the gathering. My aunt Jan is losing her hair from chemo. I wasn't sure how much she had lost since I saw her last, and if she would feel the need to wear a hat, or other head covering. I figured I'd give folks something to look at . . . if you see 14 women in outrageous head gear, no one woman stands out from the crowd. It was really a way to make Jan feel more comfortable. Fortunately, she hasn't lost eough hair to feel the need to cover up.