PDA

View Full Version : Semi-gloss?

George Sanders
03-31-2009, 8:12 AM
I recently refinished a small chest for someone else. This broke one of my cardinal rules of not refinishing anything for someone else for the obvious reason that they will probably won't like the result. She doesn't want "shiny". That said; I used min-wax semi-gloss over a min-wax gel stain on pine. The finish came out as shiny as a can be. It ain't supposed to shine; it's supposed to be somewhat dull. I can only guess as to what the cause was. I think I may have bought a mislabelled can of high-gloss. I've used min-wax for years and never had a problem like this before. I am working in a heated garage with the temp about 70 degrees. I smoothed out the finish between coats with 000 steel wool. Anybody know of another good brand I could use to dull it up?

John Lucas
03-31-2009, 8:18 AM
Is it possible that you didn't stir the semi-gloss enough? The satin and semi-gloss is made using the gloss and adding solids. It really settles on the bottom and has to be thoroughly stirred in.

George Sanders
03-31-2009, 8:32 AM
That's it. Hate to admit I forgot to stir it. Doh! I have three projects going at the same time and that's breaking another cardinal rule. Do one and only one project at a time.

glenn bradley
03-31-2009, 8:34 AM
John states my best guess. I often use satin or you could knock the gloss off with a white syntho pad to see how it goes. If it isn't to your liking, you can still use a satin product.

Von Bickley
03-31-2009, 8:38 AM
Rub it out with some steel wool and put a coat of semi-gloss or satin over it...

Dennis Peacock
03-31-2009, 9:09 AM
Rub it out with some steel wool and put a coat of semi-gloss or satin over it...

Boy do great minds think alike or what?!!! I was going to advise exactly the same thing. :D

Prashun Patel
03-31-2009, 9:34 AM
You can either stir the semigloss you have remaining and apply it directly over top of your gloss finish.

Or, you can buff the gloss finish down to satin with steel wool x4.