PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop PCS Arrives... a family affair...

Andy Sowers
03-31-2009, 2:46 AM
Wahoo! The Fedex truck arrived this afternoon with my new professional cabinet saw (PCS for short). This is the smaller sibling to the venerable Industrial cabinet saw which everyone is familar with.

Anyway... not to clog up the other threads going on, I thought I'd start my own post documenting the delivery and assembly.

My wife supervised the unloading of the crate off the truck while I was dealing with some stuff on the phone at work. Good news, no apparent damage! With a little help from my daughter, we get down to business!

Now... where does this screw go?

First order of business was to retro fit the industrial mobile base to fit the smaller PCS footprint (I purchased the larger base because all four wheels swivel, Sawstop also gave me a discount which helped sweeten the deal). Next, we needed to right the saw and place on the mobile base. The instructions mention needing four people... preferably five... Well we got er done with just my wife and I without any significant heavy lifting. Don't ask me how we did it, cause we probably couldn't repeat it again!

Yes, that's the 3mo old supervising in the background. It was a nice day in California today, so she got to visit Dad in his "man cave." My wife gets busy putting on the bells and whistles (probably while I'm lifting something heavy).

Next comes the task of attaching and leveling the extension wings...

(see next post for the end of the story...)

Andy Sowers
03-31-2009, 2:53 AM
During the leveling... Mom had to take care of the little ones, so I was left to my own devices (which means NO PICTURES were taken).

After the cast extensions were in place, the next task was to install the fence rails, the right extension wing, and the fence. Here's the obligatory "ta-da" shot after wiping down the table for the first time.

Unfortunately, got finished a little too late to fire it up for the first time. I still need to install the blade brake, and wire up a longer cord...

So the first spin will have to wait until tomorrow evening!

Hope you enjoyed our little story...

Andy

Frank Trinkle
03-31-2009, 5:27 AM
Very nice story! But you know that good stories always have three "uh oh's", and three "aw sh..'s" before resolution and an "everyone lived happily ever after"!

Mine comes in tomorrow! Can't wait! Ordered a number of "special" things for my saw yesterday, so my install and setup may be over a few days before I'm willing to show my "gloat"!

Jim Kirkpatrick
03-31-2009, 7:21 AM
Andy, nice saw! I can't wait to see the first "finger test" pics!!

Frank Trinkle
03-31-2009, 4:21 PM
Wahoooo! FedEx just called to make arrangements for delivery tomorrow afternoon! Gotta make room in the garage!

Happy Happy!:D

Andy Sowers
03-31-2009, 6:05 PM
Clear out a LOT of space... this puppy takes up a lot more space than the Bosch!!!

This weekend, I'm definitely going to have to do some re-arranging unless I only want to ever to rip 1ft boards!!!

Brent Bell
04-01-2009, 12:19 PM
Andy, thanks for posting the pictures and documenting your setup. Mine will be delivered tomorrow. I have a question for you about delivery. Did you take the shrink wrap off to inspect the boxes before accepting it? Just wondering how this works. It is a big purchase and if there is damage it can be a problem if it is not noted on the delivery form. Was the tilt indicatior easy to read? Any advice for the actual delivery? Thanks again.

Paul Ryan
04-01-2009, 12:26 PM
SS reccomends that no matter what condition the boxes are in you write on the slip from the driver, "possible internal damage need to inspect internally." Something to that any way. I cant remember exactly what the slip on the out side of the box read. But just look the boxes over there is a white slip with red writing on it that tells you what to write. This is to be done no matter what the outside of the boxes look like. If there is obviouse damage on the outside I wouldn't except the freight. But if everytihng looks good write on the slip what the white tag says. This is just to cover your but. I forgot to do that. I didn't relaize until I got home. But eveything inside my boxes was excellent, no damage.

Chris Padilla
04-01-2009, 12:50 PM
Looks good, Andy! I'm gonna hafta pay you a visit this weekend and see how this baby feels...and then maybe I'll look at your new saw! ;)

:D

Frank Trinkle
04-01-2009, 3:05 PM
My PCS has arrived! Sitting comfortably in my garage, and not taking up TOO much room.

Just ogling the packing at the moment, but uncrating shortly.... will attach pics soon....

Andy Sowers
04-01-2009, 4:34 PM
Alas... I didnt get it wired up last night... so no satisfying whirring sounds or sawdust yet. Turns out the internal electrical connections needed crimp-on connectors which I didn't have on hand. Of course i realized this at ~915pm after all the stores were closed. Dang! dontcha hate it when that happens!!

Should be up and running tonight! :D

Bring it on Chris!!!

Andy Sowers
04-01-2009, 5:38 PM
Brent

Yeah... it was my first "BIG" purchase as well... I felt it was kinda like my own stimulus package!

As Paul indicated, there's a label on the crate which states to disclose possible internal damage. My wife was the one who actually accepted the delivery (I was on the phone with work), and she didnt see the label until it was already signed for... Good news is that those SS guys do an excellent job of packing! Oh... and there was no tilt indicator on mine.

BTW, when I talked with Dylan he said if there was any apparent damage, to simply refuse the shipment.

I must disclose that I almost had a heart attack when they FedEx guy unloaded the crate from the truck. He put it on a pallete jack and then proceeded to roll the end of the jack off the edge of the lift gate. I thought for a moment the whole works was going to topple off the truck!:eek: My wife let out a little scream, and the delivery guy laughed and said he does that to everybody... not funny...

George Morris
04-01-2009, 5:55 PM
Andy mine is coming Friday. What do I need in the way of electrical connections? What plug is required? Good luck with yours! Thanks! George

Andy Sowers
04-01-2009, 6:05 PM
George,

It comes with a 6ft Nema 6-15 plug. The plug kinda looks like this:

If that's the kind of receptacle you have, and you're within 6ft of the outlet, you're good to go, no additional stuff required!

Unfortunately for me, I'm going to have to share the 220V circuit for the dryer for now. So I had to get a different cord and a plug to match that. What I envisioned was that I'd simply wire nut this new cord to the saw in the saw's electrical box, but instead I found that the connections went to a terminal block. So you also need to get the crimp on connections (something like 99cents from the borg). Like these guys:

Frank Trinkle
04-01-2009, 6:41 PM
Gotta give SawStop SOME credit... at least they include some kind of plug and cable! Not so with many others.

I gotta get about 20 feet of 12/3 and a $15.00 plug before I start making sawdust. My assembly is almost complete for the base saw!

mreza Salav
04-01-2009, 7:32 PM
Good for you guys! I wanted to buy one but after calling SS they said they won't sell it to me :(
I guess I have to wait until summer when they release it to the public.

Chris Padilla
04-02-2009, 10:52 AM
Alas... I didnt get it wired up last night... so no satisfying whirring sounds or sawdust yet. Turns out the internal electrical connections needed crimp-on connectors which I didn't have on hand. Of course i realized this at ~915pm after all the stores were closed. Dang! dontcha hate it when that happens!!

Should be up and running tonight! :D

Bring it on Chris!!!

PM me your addy and I'll come by this weekend...I'll suppy the fat pills this go-around! :)

Rob Price
04-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I didn't use the crimp on fork thing for the connections. There is a clamp on the terminal posts. Just thread your wire in there and tighten the screw.