PDA

View Full Version : Bitternut Hickory bowl.

Leo Van Der Loo
03-31-2009, 2:11 AM
I rough-turned this bowl better than 10 years ago with several other pieces of the same wood, however this one happened to have a rather large worm hole going into the edge/rim and I didn't want to deal with it then, so it was set aside, found it again and again, so finally decided to finish it, first filled the worm hole with Coffee ground and CA, and then turned it to what it is now.
It's about 7"X3" with two coats of polymerized tung oil on it.
All comments welcome :D

alex carey
03-31-2009, 2:37 AM
nice bowl, i like the burning. nicely done

David Walser
03-31-2009, 3:38 AM
Leo,

I'm glad you finally finished that bowl. The wood, and everything else about it, are too fine to waste sitting in your shop accumulating dust! Well done.

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2009, 9:59 AM
Good looking bowl Leo.

steven carter
03-31-2009, 10:01 AM
Nice bowl Leo, I really like the shape on this one and the burned rim accent.

Steve

Horst Hohoff
03-31-2009, 11:43 AM
Thank god there wasn't a worm left in the hole who could eat up
this beautiful bowl. Nice job!

Bill Bolen
03-31-2009, 11:44 AM
That one should not move! 10 years of drying time should guarantee that! Lovely bowl Leo. Great colors there and the patch worked well....Bill...

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2009, 12:29 PM
Leo - once again you have proven that a classic form and simple decoration work! Beautiful bowl, grain, color and finish! After drying for 10 years - that must have been some really hard wood! Thanks for sharing Leo - always a pleasure to see your work!

Don Carter
03-31-2009, 2:15 PM
Leo:
I love this bowl! The beauty of the wood and your workmanship really shows through. Where do you get the polymerized tung oil?

Mike Spanbauer
03-31-2009, 6:38 PM
Nice looking bowl Leo! Question on the coffee grounds... how fine do you grind them? I've seen rough grounds before and yours looks very smooth. I have a burr grinder (I'm a coffee addict :P) and can grind expressor powder, but wanted to know what method you used here.

Looks great.

mike

Allen Neighbors
03-31-2009, 7:29 PM
Wonderful work, Leo! You always have such elegant forms. This is another one. Nice that you finally got it finished. :)

Billy Tallant
03-31-2009, 7:45 PM
That is a very nice looking bowl!!!

Jarrod McGehee
03-31-2009, 10:41 PM
Nice bowl Leo. I love checking out all your work.

Leo Van Der Loo
04-01-2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks you all the comments, it is appreciated :D :D :D

Steve thank you :), the wood turned just fine Steve, I didn't find is excessively hard to turn, sanded and finished just fine also.

Don thank you :), I get my Polymerized Tung oil from Lee Valley, I find it a very good finish.
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=20050&cat=1,190,42942

Thank you Mike :D, the coffee ground I use is the regular ground coffee, the main thing I think, is to get it packed and totally filled with CA, and that's not always easy to do with deeper fillings, as the CA wants to set before you have it filled, but if done right it will be just a smooth cut surface.