PDA

View Full Version : MinWax Poly Rub Finish

Billy Tallant
03-31-2009, 12:45 AM
Thought I would try something different than the HUT Friction polish that I normally use on most of my pens. Big leaf maple blank with 3 coats of poly rubbed on it. A little time consuming but makes a nice finish.

Jeff Nicol
03-31-2009, 7:25 AM
Billy, The pen blank is great and the color is fanstastic, it realy shows the figure in the maple! I like poly for smaller things too, I did a mini HF yesterday with a few coats on it and it turned out like glass! Keep up the great work!

Jeff

Dave Crowder
03-31-2009, 8:07 AM
That's a nice looking pen.

I'm new to this game, and I've been experimenting with different finishes. What's the best way finish a pen (or whatever) with Miniwax Rub-on Ploy?

Thanks!

Steve Schlumpf
03-31-2009, 12:33 PM
Great looking pen Billy! Love the curl and the vibrant color!

Bernie Weishapl
03-31-2009, 6:38 PM
Great looking pen Billy. Do you friction the poly on or can you tell us your procedure for apply wipe on poly?

Billy Tallant
03-31-2009, 7:21 PM
This is my first attempt at using poly wipe on, so I'm sure each person who has used it has their method they prefer. I took the easy way & just hand rubbed it into the grain. I put a small amount of poly on a blue shop paper towel & rubbed the finish in while turning the lathe by hand. Let dry 3-4 hrs & sand with 600 grain, clean up with mineral spirits, & then apply the next coat. I applied 3 coats to this pen. Next pen I may try 5 coats.

It did pay off though. I took this pen to school with me to show off. Had a buyer already lined up for this one, & ended up with another order for the exact same pen. :)

Thanks for the kind words... Critiques & comments are always welcome. I'm continuously trying to learn new ways to improve my skills...