PDA

View Full Version : New tools with no warranty?

Ron Bontz
03-30-2009, 9:50 PM
Forgive me if this has been covered before. While looking at various auction sites for that mythical deal that would make me jump and say "Woo Hoo", I had a curious question. If you could buy a machine new for 75% of retail or less would it be worth not having a factory warranty? This is assuming of course you could look it over, flip the switch, kick the tires, etc. and see what you are getting.

Fred Belknap
03-30-2009, 10:16 PM
Warranties are good when you need them just like insurance. I have only used them a very few times, so I would definitely be interested if I could see and feel the tool.

Brent Leonard
03-30-2009, 10:18 PM
If you can check it out first, and it's a tool I can feesably understand mechanically, like a table saw, etc....

heck yes.

Some computer controlled, leaser guided, gps enabled with full color graphic LCD touch screen control panels, device that NORAD would envy,,,,, (I think I saw a chisel like that at the WW show :D )

I might be a little leary at such a discount.

Barry Vabeach
03-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Ron, it depends on the tool and how you feel about modifying your tools. It wouldn't bother me to buy a fairly simple tool without a warranty so long as you kicked the tires - bandsaw and a jointer come to mind - they are mostly cast iron, bearings and a motor - assuming everything was working, I wouldn't mind the risk if the discount was significant. If it is something more complex, like a sawstop, or something with a lot of moving parts , I would want a bigger discount to cover the risk of something breaking under the warranty. Though, from looking at posts here I would guess that 99 percent of the problems arise when it is first delivered, it is pretty rare that someone posts about a condition where something wore out that was covered by a warranty.

Mike Henderson
03-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Every time you buy a used tool, you buy it without any warranty (unless it still has the original manufacturer's warranty).

But I prefer to see a warranty on a new tool because it gets feedback to the manufacturer about field problems with the tool. Otherwise, the manufacturer would just go on making the same thing with the same problems.

Mike

Ron Bontz
03-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Interesting point Mike.

Rick Thom
03-30-2009, 10:41 PM
To me the purpose of the warranty is to instill confidence in the buyer as to what the minimum performance of the product should be.

Andy Bardowell
03-30-2009, 10:44 PM
That’s interesting Ron usually even factory re-cons have some sort of warranty, be careful though, if it’s too good to be true… well you’ve heard it all before.

Ron Bontz
03-30-2009, 11:05 PM
I have seen more large "shelf pulls" tools being auctioned off this year. Still sealed and banded in the crates etc. What surprised me was the amount people were willing to pay for them. Like the bay they seem to be caught up in bidding just to bid. I have gotten a couple of good deals this way but I don't think I would want to pay nearly retail for something I can't touch or "kick the tires". So I was curious what every one else thought.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-31-2009, 1:55 AM
I've noticed an interesting thing about my use of warranties. The more I spent on the tool, the more likely I am to use the warranty. I actually tossed an old Craftsman ratchet the other day, its just not worth the two hour drive to a Sears to get it replaced, when the Snapon truck comes right to my yard, and I can get a tool that I actually like. I have used the Snapon warranty though.

I bet that is a function of Ricks point about the warranty being a marketing tool, cause in the end, a lousy tool with a great warranty is still a lousy tool. Personally I pay no attention to warranties, except on cars, so yes, I would gladly not pay extra for a warranty on most tools.

Anthony Whitesell
03-31-2009, 8:20 AM
In the situation you outline, I would need a (minimal) warranty if I can't touch the item first. I attend plenty of auctions in person and would willing jump on a needed tool at 75% of new without a warranty.

As for my opinion of warranties, to a large extent I view warranties as how long the manufacturer expects the unit to last. For example, the NewPro Windows sales guy was pushing the fact their windows have a 50 year warranty. Keep in mind NewPro windows are 2x $$ anyone else, and 4x $$$$ doing them myself. I told the sales person, "the warranty is great, but can you gaurantee that NewPro be around in 20 or 30 years to honor the 50 year warranty? Or if NewPro is bought out, will the new company be obligated to honor the warranty?" Of course they can't gaurantee it, so what good is it? I installed the windows for less than the $10k NewPro wanted. Total bill was around $2k.

I would say in the past 10 years, there's only been two times I wish I had opted for the extended warranty. That's actually on our (my LOML and myself) current cell phones. I'm on my third or fourth phone and finally broke one. Same with my wife's phone (same model, different issue). We didn't opt for the insurance as the phone was only $5 with a 2-year contract. I would buy a new phone and extend the contact to get another good deal, but we're tired of the spotty coverage with the current provider. So we're going to limp along until October when we can cancel without extra fees.

Bruce Wrenn
03-31-2009, 10:59 PM
Warranty, what warranty? I buy most of my tools used, so most come with a thirty / thirty warranty. Thirty seconds, or thirty feet, which ever comes first. If it runs when I plug it in, it's a keeper if the price is right. Usually I pay less than 50% of "best" new price. In the past year I have bought used: Grizzly 6" jointer - $150, Delta 10" contractor's saw with Delta mobile base - $120, Millwalkie 1/2" right angle drill - $50, Delta (before Rockwell) 14" band saw - $60, Freud Dial a width dado set - $100, PC 334 ROS - $15, Bosh Colt - $40, PC 690 (with Whiteside 3/8" bit included) - $25, Bosch Bulldog hammer drill, including eight bits, most of which were new - $40. Care to guess as to whether I asked about a warranty? Heck no! I just paid and left with my "new tools." What really hurts is when I see a deal, but already have more than one of such tool, and just can't justify buying another. Nobody needs more than five contractor's saws. But I'm looking for a second Unisaw, but at a deal only.

scott spencer
04-01-2009, 6:07 AM
A noteworthy difference between used and new in this case, is that a used machine has survived it's initial service infancy, which is a period when many devices and machines suffer a much higher percentage of premature failures. Those that survive that period typically go on to serve for the expected service life of the device. A new machine that has not seen this "trial period" is at higher risk of failure than a used machine that has survived it. For that reason I typically avoid purchasing extended warranties, but this is a case where an "aftermarket" warranty might be worth pursuing.