PDA

View Full Version : Biesemeyer Anti-kickback Spreader

Andy Bardowell
03-30-2009, 9:48 PM
Hey guys especially any of the crew from the Great White North. I just acquired a 1990 PM66 and will be picking it up tomorrow. It’s missing the guard and splitter and I thought rather than buying the stock one from Powermatic that I’d purchase a Biesemeyer Anti-kickback Spreader. I searched SMC and found only two old threads I think from ’03 and ’05 on these and thought that I’d ask what the guys thought of this retrofit as everyone who has one has been using them for a while now. And from the guys in Canada does anyone know where I can get one north of the 49th?

The model for my 66 is B78-441.

Peter Quinn
03-30-2009, 10:05 PM
I run that same setup, PM66 with a biesemeyer splitter. It works quite well, reasonably simple to install as I recall, comes in and out quickly, I use it pretty much on every cut possible. The stock guard and splitter were not of very much quality, tended to hang things up and were a bear to take on and off for things like dados. I installed it once, took it off and hid it in a closet.

I don't know where to buy one in Canada, perhaps a delta distributor? I think delta owns biesemeyer now?

Ron Bontz
03-30-2009, 10:09 PM
Delta has owned Biesemeyer for some time now. I have one on my uni. and have been quite happy with it. I always lock my fence beside it though, when finished, to keep from bumping it. I did that once and bent it slightly. Like everything else Delta, they are getting expensive.:)

Rod Sheridan
03-31-2009, 7:32 AM
Hi Andy, I can't help you with the splitter, I put an Excalibur guard and Merlin splitter on my General 650.

Nice saw, you'll be very happy with it.........Rod.

Heather Thompson
03-31-2009, 8:21 AM
Andy,

I can't help you with a source in Canada, but I got mine last year from www.mikestools (http://www.mikestools), they are located in Santa Ana CA. It is not cheap, I paid 141.37 last January but I consider it money well spent.

Heather

Ron Kellison
03-31-2009, 9:24 PM
Hey guys especially any of the crew from the Great White North. I just acquired a 1990 PM66 and will be picking it up tomorrow. It’s missing the guard and splitter and I thought rather than buying the stock one from Powermatic that I’d purchase a Biesemeyer Anti-kickback Spreader. I searched SMC and found only two old threads I think from ’03 and ’05 on these and thought that I’d ask what the guys thought of this retrofit as everyone who has one has been using them for a while now. And from the guys in Canada does anyone know where I can get one north of the 49th?

The model for my 66 is B78-441.

I bought one for my Unisaw from the local Dewalt/BD/Delta repair center in Ottawa. I have no idea whether the model is the same for Powermatic and Delta. I would check the Delta website and see if the model # and/or installation instructions are the same.

Regards,

Ron

BTW, I love mine! It's on the saw for everything except dadoing.

Peter Gregory
03-31-2009, 9:29 PM
Works very well, simple in install, simple to remove when you need to. The highlight is that I never had kickback once I installed it, but I always used a cross cut sled.

Recommended.