PDA

View Full Version : Ash finishing advice

Zahid Naqvi
07-24-2004, 1:01 PM
I was able to acquire some wonderfully figured ash. One of my kids has an outstanding demand for a toy box and I am planning on using the ash for it. The boards have some really nice figure that I would like to preserve. Need some advice on how to finish it so that it will stand up to some rough treatment and still show the pattern of the wood. I also tend to like the natural look of wood so I am reluctant to stain it unless there is some obvious benefit to it.

Thanks
Zahid

George M. Perzel
07-24-2004, 2:21 PM
Hi Zahid
Three coats of Watco natural and then paste wax-beautiful for years.
George M. Perzel

Greg Heppeard
07-24-2004, 3:46 PM
I prefer General Finish's wipe on poly. It's a mixture of oil and poly. I actually brush on the first coat and let it soak for about 15 min, let it dry overnight then start with the next three coats, wiping lightly with 0000 steel wool between coats. You can get it in satin, semi gloss or gloss. It's a good hard finish that will last for years. If you ever need to re-do any of the finish, it's fixed easily.

Jack Hogoboom
07-24-2004, 4:53 PM
Try Waterlox and wax. One of my favorites.

Mike Cutler
07-24-2004, 9:33 PM
General Finish "Arm R seal "oil and urethane top coat is almost fool proof to apply,gives an excellent protective finish when multiple coats are applied and looks great. As much as I hate to work with it, Min Wax Poly urethane is also an excellent protective finish, I've just never got the hang of applying it without alot of hassle, and extra work. (My problem though, some folks get great results with it.)
I hate staining wood also, there is no benefit to it, it's purely cosmetic and based on individual preference.

Keith Outten
07-24-2004, 9:54 PM
Five coats of Sherwin Williams Nitro Laquer and do the final rub with your ROS with a 3M pad and paste wax. This makes an awesom finish and it is very fast.