PDA

View Full Version : unisaw arbor pulley alignment

Dave Gleason
03-30-2009, 4:13 PM
I've got an older '83 unisaw that needs a tune up. The motor and arbor pulleys need alignment. I loosened the arbor pulley allen head set screw but wasn't able to slide the pulley on the shaft. The pulley on the motor does slide after loosening the set screw.

Is there a trick to loosening and aligning the arbor pulley on a unisaw?

Thanks.

Cary Falk
03-30-2009, 4:57 PM
It is likely that your arbor pulley is frozen on the shaft. Mine was when I restored it. When I put it back together that pulley had a tendency to work itself loose and cause vibration until I ended up putting 2 set screws in each hole with loctite. If I recall correctly there isn't much room to move the pulley on the arbor if you were to get it to move. I would concentrate on aligning with the one on the motor shaft. There should be more than enough room to move the pulley and still keep it on the shaft.

Ray Dockrey
03-30-2009, 5:07 PM
I would also check to make sure that somebody down the line didn't add a second set screw behind the one you loosened.

Pete Bradley
03-30-2009, 11:16 PM
There isn't a lot of room to move on the arbor pulley anyway. I'd adjust the position of the motor pulley to match it.

Pete

Dave Gleason
03-30-2009, 11:28 PM
There is room to move the motor pulley, in fact I did that already and it does seem to run smoother. While I have it apart I'll take another peak to see if I missed a set screw.

Thanks for the advice. I've had this saw for a couple months and still learning my way around it.