PDA

View Full Version : Vector Cutting Problem

Jacob Hebert
03-30-2009, 4:09 PM
I have asked a couple of people knowledgable about this machine what the problem could be, and was told to run the machine's vector cutting slower and slower each time.

Basically, when the machine switches from raster to vector, and the vector cut has complex curves (example: a rounded-corner or circular nametag, or a tag with a small hole needing to be cut in it), the machine may jerk or jump out of alignment. This happens in a manner so that sometimes it could be X alignment, sometimes Y alignment, or sometimes both that jump. It is a random distance as well, varying from a small fraction of an inch to a full inch. After powering it down and back on, it resets to home perfectly. The machine has been cleaned, and all belts and wheels have been checked. Would anyone happen to have any idea what this problem could be?

The quickfix I have found is to do the raster engraving separately from the vector engraving/cutting, but I am curious to know if this can be fixed.

The machine is a ULS M-300, 40 Watt. Thanks in advance for the help!

Margaret Turco
03-30-2009, 6:00 PM
Hi Jacob, I don't know if this would solve your problem, but when I have a shape like a rounded rectangle I didn't like the way it would dwell at the transition point from straight side to curved corner. I changed all the nodes to rounded and smooth and the laser does not pause at all. You might give it a try, using the shape tool.
Good luck!

Jacob Hebert
03-30-2009, 6:08 PM
It cuts the rounded shapes perfectly fine... but jumps to the wrong place to do so. :eek: Let's say the (0,0) origin point, right when it switches from raster engraving to vector cutting, I hear a strange noise, and the shape is vectoring as if it's at (-1/4, -1/4). Basically, like it's grinding and "jumping" right before it "vectors".

Joe Pelonio
03-30-2009, 6:14 PM
That sure sounds like a gear or belt issue. You said the belts and the pulleys
are tight? I'm not familiar with your machine, might there be gears between the x or y motor and the pulleys for the belts that are chipped?

Mike Mackenzie
03-30-2009, 6:49 PM
Jacob,

What firmware version are you running? To find out

1) turn system on once it is ready
2) press escape
3) move down to preferences press select
4) move down to about (give me this version number it should be something like 23-21-14-09.)

I have a feeling that this is an old version and it should be upgraded.

Do you have air assist? What windows version are you using?

Let me know

Jacob Hebert
03-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Jacob,

What firmware version are you running? To find out

1) turn system on once it is ready
2) press escape
3) move down to preferences press select
4) move down to about (give me this version number it should be something like 23-21-14-09.)

I have a feeling that this is an old version and it should be upgraded.

Do you have air assist? What windows version are you using?

Let me know

Mike,

The version number is the exact one you stated, 23-21-14-09. I do not use air assist, and I use Windows XP Service Pack 3.

Mike Mackenzie
04-01-2009, 3:48 AM
Jacob,

That is your problem send an e-mail to Info@cemlasers.com and someone will send you the correct updated firmware

Jacob Hebert
04-01-2009, 10:46 AM
Jacob,

That is your problem send an e-mail to Info@cemlasers.com and someone will send you the correct updated firmware

Thank you for your quick reply, Mike! I sent an email to them requesting the firmware update. This problem has been plaguing us for quite a while; I'm glad I joined SMC. :D Thanks again for the help! I'll update you on any changes.

Jacob Hebert
04-01-2009, 3:56 PM
UPDATE: The new firmware update has been applied and all settings have been set. Now it's just time to test it! :D

UPDATE 2: Not a single jumping problem at all! Thanks Mike!

Larry Bratton
04-02-2009, 5:09 PM
Ain't it great when a plan comes together!

Jacob Hebert
04-07-2009, 5:42 PM
Ain't it great when a plan comes together!
Yes, yes, it most certainly is! :D

Panos Fioros
04-07-2009, 11:44 PM
I had a similar problem. Check your vectoring speed it might be set too fast.
I was told not too long ago by ULS rep that I should not vector more than 10% speed. Has something to do with the length of the arm and precise positioning of the laser. Let's try this in other words... If the laser is vectoring let's say a complicated object, it's moving all over the place, and if it's going too fast and you have a long arm, mine is 32", it's just going to slip. With the torque its generating it's just not going to be able to get to a precise point.

Another way to know that your speed is too fast is when your vector lines are squiggly.

Jacob Hebert
04-08-2009, 9:51 AM
Originally, it was doing it even at 7% and lower speeds... It turned out that this firmware upgrade was just what I needed. It hasn't sputtered or coughed since. :p :D

David Fairfield
04-08-2009, 10:43 AM
A speed limit of 10% seems pretty low :confused: What's up with that? The thing that impressed me most about the ULS is the squiggle-free vector cutting I've seen done on one. But if its only in the lower speed range, its not, IMHO, really an advantage over the others.

Can anyone familiar with the ULS comment on vector speed / squiggling effect?

Thanks !
Dave

Jacob Hebert
04-08-2009, 11:03 AM
I haven't tested it again at high speeds using the new firmware, but I assure you that I'll give it a try.