PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to so many of you for such a warm welcome.

Greg Young
03-30-2009, 2:55 PM
My first thoughts have been borne out – a real community of sincere, helpful people.

Some of you have asked where I am…..Toronto, Canada. Big place, lots of big places to buy any wood you want but, quelle dommage, the Brazilians have stopped cutting T. A. mahogany, God’s best wood. They stopped for good reason though.

As to all of you who have expressed an interest in photos. I’m assembling a bunch now and will post some. I have lots but there were times that leaving the job and getting paid seemed a lot more appealing than taking photographs. A lot of us woodworkers with creative sensibilities don’t mesh well with high-end design-builders and owners, (if you ever get to see the owners).

What a shame, I probably don’t remember now a lot of what I’ve made. Good tip here for amateurs who want to be pro - be careful what you get into and try not to get jaded, it’s really easy to build a $250,000.00 conservatory that is perfection but cost you $300,000.00. Never do it only because you “can”, it’ll be like a colonoscopy - your vanity and dignity will be very very secondary.

Thanks too to all of you who asked about my hand. Don’t put small pieces of wood near a moving dado to ”eyeball” something; I still can’t believe what I did.

Greg

Chris Padilla
03-30-2009, 3:54 PM
Good stuff, Greg. If you go into your USER CP (top left corner in dark blue band), you can adjust all sorts of things for yourself. One of the more obvious ones is to put your city, state in there and then we'll all know from where you hail. :)

Look forward to the future collages! :D

Glenn Clabo
03-30-2009, 4:25 PM
Greg,
Welcome and I have to tell ya...Toronto is one of my favorite cities. I got to spend some time there while courting my wife. Of course while doing that her nephew was the chef at the Four Seasons.;)

Dave Verstraete
03-30-2009, 5:15 PM
One of the more obvious ones is to put your city, state in there and then we'll all know from where you hail.

Chris
I'm not sure if Greg is going to like it if you call his province part of the "States":D:eek:.