PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Lazy Susan Hardware

Ben Franz
03-30-2009, 11:57 AM
I bought a 12" cast aluminum lazy susan bearing from Lee Valley (12K68.12) and I'm stumped. I want to permanently attach two pieces of plywood, one to each ring of the bearing. No instructions (of course - real woodworkers don't need no stinkin' instructions) and it looks like the bearings will spill out if the two halves are separated. There is a setscrew in the rim of the outer ring so it seems like they can be split apart somehow. I'm confused - help!

Jim McFarland
03-30-2009, 12:29 PM
Out of character for LV not to provide instructions. You might review LV's instructions for their other LS bearings here:

http://www.leevalley.com/shopping/Instructions.aspx?p=40943

Essentially requires drilling access hole in the "base" (which can be plugged) aligned with "platter" race screw holes.

If that doesn't work, email LV -- they are very responsive in my experience.

Scott Loven
03-30-2009, 12:38 PM
Are there holes that would allow you to pass a screw through the plywood and the first ring and be held captive by the second? You would have to have the same in both directions to make it work.
Scott

Jess Wetherhold
03-30-2009, 12:48 PM
Well, it says that you have to remove the feet for permanent attachment. I would think that once you have it centered on your piece mark where one of the screw holes is on the outer ring and drill a small hole there. Mount the lazy susan to this piece by the inner ring. flip it over and center it on the 2nd piece and use the hole you made to drive the screws in to the outer ring. I have made several using this method.

Ron Bontz
03-30-2009, 1:51 PM
I installed a 17" one a while back for a custom command center. You don't have to take it apart. There are pass through holes if memory serves me correctly. Take a compass and draw the diameter of either the screw holes or the lazy suzan. Use the pass through holes. The bottom of your project, or which ever half won't show, will have to have access holes for screwing it to the top if memory serves me right. Then just buy some of those chrome or plastic removable plugs at one of the Borgs. Take care.:)

Mike Heidrick
03-30-2009, 2:24 PM
Very Timely thread. I had the same question for some round LSs. Thanks for posting this topic!

David DeCristoforo
03-30-2009, 2:38 PM
...this is the new millennium people. The term "Lazy Susan" was declared "politically incorrect" late in the last century. The acceptable term is now "revolving corner shelf". Please make a note of it.

PS We are still looking for a "politically correct" alternative to "dumbwaiter". Suggestions are being accepted.

Rod Sheridan
03-30-2009, 3:08 PM

PS We are still looking for a "politically correct" alternative to "dumbwaiter". Suggestions are being accepted.

Silent Server................Regards, Rod.

Mike Heidrick
03-30-2009, 3:44 PM
[quote=David DeCristoforo;1095588]revolving corner shelf quote]

What about ones sitting on a kitchen table? Sorry - food stability surface.

David DeCristoforo
03-30-2009, 4:38 PM
"What about ones sitting on a kitchen table?"

"Revolving Service Tray"

Duh.... ;)

Ben Franz
03-30-2009, 4:57 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions - I called LV just after posting and spoke with Susan in Customer Service. She offered to go to the warehouse after her shift, get one of the units and call me back. I told her that she could do it tomorrow instead of on her own time. She called back 15-20 minutes later with the answer which was exactly as some of the above resposes suggest. Drill an access hole from below to allow installation of screws on the opposite surface - DUH :o:o:o. You'd think I might have figured that one out myself. Hats off to LV and Susan - all the good things I've read about them are true. They actually answer the phone with a live person that is ready to help :D.

By the way, Susan also objects to the term "lazy susan".

Ron Bontz
03-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Don't feel bad. I stared at my 17" for quite some time before drilling those holes. And I have actually installed one before! :o

Ron Bontz
03-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Oh BTW... Dumbwaiter----The guy who is still waiting on the bus that left yesterday.:D