PDA

View Full Version : Alumamark Sheets

Steven Wallace
03-30-2009, 11:17 AM
I was going to purchase some of the alumamark product to do a 50th wedding anniversary plaque (Gloss Gold). No problem until I found that it comes in a 12x20 inch sheet and requires being sheared to the correct size. I don't have a metal shear and have not had enough business in this end of the business to warrant the purchase of a shear yet. The material is 0.020 inch thick. Has anyone had the same problem and if so, how did you resolve it and get a clean edge? Not looking for a cheap fix but inexpensive would be nice.

Mike Null
03-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Steven

There is no good way to do it without a shear.

Try one of the awards shops near you. They'll probably do it.

Be sure to take a close look at the settings recommended on the Alumamark site. This is a very sensitive material.

KENNY JASPER
03-30-2009, 12:08 PM
STEPHEN,
I use a heavy duty paper cutter to cut to size.
Kenny

Scott Shepherd
03-30-2009, 12:13 PM
I have a repeat job that uses that about once every 3-4 months. I actually cut it with a straight edge and a utility knife. I'm very careful about laying it out and I use dial or digital calipers to mark the line for cutting. You can score it about 4-5 times and then it will bend and break fairly easy. I will then hit the edge with a file very lightly.

It's far far far from ideal, but if you don't have a shear, or know someone who does, it will do the job if you are careful and accurate.

Steven Wallace
03-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the input I will use it for sure. I have used the alumamark before but only the precut blanks. Think I have my settings down fairly well. I will post how it turns out. Thanks again. I know where to turn when I have a problem. You guys are great!

James Stokes
03-30-2009, 12:31 PM
I too have used a knife to cut it. If you are getting it from JDS they will cut it for a small fe.
But alomnimark is so thin a good paper cutter will cut it and you can get a real good one for around $40

Bill Cunningham
03-31-2009, 8:23 PM
The only problem you may find with a paper cutter, is the curved blade, and depending how sharp it is (you won't cut it with a Fiskars wheel type:D) is that it can put a slight curve in the metal & you have to flatten it out afterwards. It 'may' put a slight lip on one side or the other of the cut edge. You can fix this by cutting the plate about 1/16" over size then turning it over and trimming the edge again.. These are the problems I had back in the days before I bought a metal shear, and was using my 24" Kuttrimmer plastics shear for brass etc..