PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for new weedeater

mark page
03-30-2009, 10:52 AM
Am thinking about replacing the existing weedeater and open for suggestions. Currently thinking about an industrial/pro Stihl model. I know they don't get any better than these but they also come with the price tag to show it. It must be multi-tool capable as I do have a large pampas grass patch that must be cut once a year, so a blade trimmer or hedge clipper attachment is a must. Any suggestions out there??? I would like to say that price is no object, but if I can get Stihl quality at a cheaper price then great, if not, then I'll buck up for the Stihl price.

Eric Roberge
03-30-2009, 11:03 AM
Talked with a landscaper once and he only used Red Max. So my dad bought one and has been very happy with it.

http://www.redmax.com/node3928.aspx

David G Baker
03-30-2009, 11:19 AM
I have a Shindaiwa and love it. It was expensive but it keeps on ticking. It came with a 90 teeth to the inch brush blade that is awesome, I have cut down 6 inch trees with it before I purchased a chain saw. It also has some expensive attachments that work quite well.
I actually prefer my brush hog for most weed/brush cutting when I can get at them with the tractor.

Eddie Watkins
03-30-2009, 11:41 AM
I have the Stihl FS80 and really like it. It starts easy and the line is easy to put in. When I started lookiing, I wanted one where the line was not a major hassle and I didn't have to buy a new spool already wound each time. I also wanted one LOML could start and operate. I use the .105 line and it doesn't break off. It's about as trouble-free weedeating as you can get. I have no idea whether you can buy other attachments.

Dan Mages
03-30-2009, 11:42 AM
Do you want to go the tree hugging environmentally friendly route? Here is one option I spotted in Ireland a few years back...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v647/DanMages/Picture278.jpg

Dan:rolleyes:

Mark Patoka
03-30-2009, 11:47 AM
I purchased the Stihl FS90 last year and really like it. It allows adding different attachments which is one of the reasons I purchased it, even though I don't have any extras at the moment.

I also have a Stihl chainsaw so I can use the same oil/gas mixture in both.

Chris Padilla
03-30-2009, 11:48 AM
Dan beat me to it but I was going to suggest goats! :D

mark page
03-30-2009, 1:06 PM
Am currently looking at the FS110R model. Local dealer is having a small sale on Stihl right now too. Priced at $325.99 right now. I liked the sheep goats humor too. But have to say Baaaaaaaaaa/naaaaaaaaaaaa to that one. Trimmers and fertilizers all in one unit sounds nice though:):):). On a side note my in-laws still raise Bohr sp?? goats.

Steve Jenkins
03-30-2009, 2:11 PM
Last year I bought a Honda 4 cycle. Works great and no mixing gas with associated problems.

Rob Russell
03-30-2009, 4:43 PM
I have the Stihl Kombi-system. It's a "4-Mix" - uses a gas/oil mix but 4-cycle so it's torquey.

There are a bunch of attachments and I've got 4 of them - weed wacker, hedge trimmer, power broom and sidewalk edger.

I've been happy with it. The nice thing is that the one power head gets used all year long (the power broom is great for the final scrape to get the snow off the driveway) so you don't end up with a piece of equipment gummed up from stale gas.

David G Baker
03-30-2009, 5:10 PM
Dan,
The tree huggers may not approve of your method of getting rid of weeds, them critters are destroying the ozone layer or some such nonsense. :D

mark page
03-30-2009, 5:31 PM
Must not be much of a mark-up in weed whackers from Stihl. I told the salesman I would buy today if he threw in a $17.00 brush blade for free. He declined and I walked. I fully expected him to catch me before the front door. Much to my dismay, he didn't catch me. As today was the first time I mowed the lawn, maybe I'll be back tomorrow. Maybe Stihl has a nationwide retail sales price just like Bose does and this was an unauthorized sale price of $325.99. Reg. price was $349.99.

Brent Leonard
03-30-2009, 9:34 PM
I did alot of looking, talking and research before buying my gas trimmer for my acreage. I bought a Husqy (Husquevarna), from the local Husqy dealer, not one of the big box models sold at Lowes. IMO, Husqy and Stihl are essentially Chevy vs. Ford, personal prefrence really....

I was told this at 2 local Stihl dealers on the multi attachment models (any brand multi attachment models).

People put alot of wear and tear on the little engines using attachments (tiller mainly), and will literally burn up the engines. The small engines weren't designed for such torque loads and they would be in the shop for a powerhead replacement sometimes within a year. One of the shops stopped selling that certain model and attachments because of the high number of problems.

Take that for what it is worth, I don't know of anyone personally that has experienced such (or anyone who runs the tiller for that matter). I'm sure the Stihl is an excellent machine, it is of course a "Stihl". I like the multi attachment machines due to the versaltility and have a Poulan with the pole saw attachment and hedge trimmer, but avoid the tiller attachment due to what I was told. By the way, the Poulan sucks compared to my Husqy string trimmer. Hard to start and ultra cold blooded for a good few minutes (and it's practically new).

Jim Becker
03-31-2009, 11:22 AM
I have the RedMaxx and have been very pleased...and it was purchased from my local Stihl dealer.

Greg Cole
03-31-2009, 12:43 PM
Hi mark,
I've had a John Deere that's been bullet proof (run over once even!) & I do some side work mowing and have been for 9 years now. I have not idea how many hours I have on it, but it's ALOT.
The new model thats a clone of the JD is: http://www.deere.com/en_US/ProductCatalog/HO/servlet/com.deere.u90785.cce.productcatalog.view.servlets. ProdCatProduct?pNbr=UT15227&tM=HO&link=enav

Bout the same coin as the other good ones.

Greg

John Lohmann
03-31-2009, 1:20 PM
I bought a John Deere combo unit, weedeater, edger & baby tiller, I've had it for 8 years. It might not be as macho as others, but it has been versatile since I don't have a tiller & it's good for flower beds in GA.

Leigh Costello
04-01-2009, 1:21 AM
IMHO Stihl is the way to go. I used to manage a hardware store and we offered small engine repair. Stihl had the best engines back then. It's all we use-er hubby uses. And if my orthopod is reading, I never touch the thing ;).

Joe Mioux
04-01-2009, 5:17 AM
I have a Shindawa which was purchased from the local Stihl dealer

Everything else is Stihl, chain saw, hedge trimmer, leaf blower.

Shinndawa uses 40:1 while the Stihl used 50:1. I use the same fuel mixtue in both. I did ask the dealer and he said I wouldn't have a problem. He was right the Shindawa is 11 years old. I have had to replace the head and the shroud because I wore that out, but the engine.... no problems.

My point is what ever brand you buy make sure your 2 cycle fuel is compatible with your other 2 cycle equipment. One two cycle dedicated can vs many.

joe

Stan Johnsey
04-01-2009, 7:16 AM
Look around at what the local yardmen are using, mostly Echo straight shaft around here.

Bob Rufener
04-01-2009, 9:42 AM
I bought a Tanaka and have been very pleased with it. Can use string, brush cutter or a saw blade. Normally takes only 3 pulls to start after sitting for all winter unused. I'd buy another if it died. Stihl is a very good brand. In fact, I'm picking up a Stihl chainsaw in a few hours. I'm impressed with their toolless chain adjuster and changing system. It will be many steps of improvement over my 30+ year old Homelite.

Stephen Edwards
04-01-2009, 6:47 PM
I vote for the heavy duty Stihl straight shaft. I've used mine for for 18 or 19 years now. Worked it hard for many of those years. It's still going strong, too!

I've had the carb rebuilt once, replaced the air filter a time or two and the trigger mechanism replaced once. Other than the routine tuneups and cleaning, that's it. If this one ever wears out I'll get another Stihl.

With the star shaped or square shaped heavy gauge string, it's amazing what big weeds it will cut. I have the saw blade that came with it but never use it.

Scott T Smith
04-01-2009, 9:56 PM
I live on a farm, and weed whacking is one of my least favorite chores. My recommendation would be to get the LIGHTEST machine that will serve your needs, as long as it is a model designed for commercial use.

I've used Stihl (present model), John Deere, Echo, Lawn Boy, and others, and they all make quality products.

Five things that I have learned about weed whacking and weed whackers:

1. ALWAYS wear safety glasses.
2. Use the largest diameter line that you can - it will last longer.
3 - Buy the lightest weight machine that will do the job
4 - Only mix up the fuel that you will use up in a month. The oil tends to break down in 2-cycle fuel that's more than a month old, and using fresh fuel mix will do more to extend the life of your motor than anything else.
5 - Buy the brand that has great local service.

If you have multiple 2-cycle engines that specify different oil mixes, consider using a synthetic oil for your mix. Typically the synthetic fuel mixes use less oil, and so you can safely reduce the percentage of oil used and have one batch for all of your equipment.

mark page
04-01-2009, 10:08 PM
Verdict is in--definately going with the Stihl. But I was biased anyways as one of the family owned businesses only uses Stihl chainsaws from an 014 to an 066 level. Just looking at other options, but not very hard unless something just jumped out and bit me. Thanks for all the inputs anyways.

Matt Ranum
04-01-2009, 11:44 PM
You will have good luck with Stihl I'm sure. We've run Stihl and Husky saws extensively over the years with good overall luck.

I bought an Echo saw last summer and have been thrilled with it. Most economical saw I ever ran. While the engine long blocks come from Japan I like the fact that the rest of the unit is built, not just assembled here in the states. Also like the 5 year warrantee and that the engines are rated for a 1500 hour lifespan.

I bought it mainly just to have some gas to throw on the Husky vs Stihl fire around here.:p

Dave Lehnert
04-03-2009, 8:53 PM
I own a Stihl chainsaw and it is the best. But once owned a Stihl weed trimmer and it was the biggest POS I ever owned. Dealer could not get it to run right at all times.

I got this Echo trimmer two years ago and it is a BEAST!!! runs great and lots of power.
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100087111
http://www.homedepot.com/catalog/productImages/300/30/306834b3-04a5-41c6-bc64-42fd5d0963ea_300.jpg