PDA

View Full Version : Wood Gloat and a bowl lots of pictures

alex carey
03-30-2009, 2:01 AM
Every morning I eat breakfast looking out our front room window instead of at the dining table. Out the window I can see hundreds of houses and more importantly hundreds of trees. That how I get most of my wood. Friday morning I heard a chainsaw and went to investigate. I sure am glad I went to investigate because I got a great score. Tons of cedar, Cedar happens to be my favorite wood.

1. Here are some of the cut down cedar trees. Anyone know exactly what kind they are?
2. Also a close up of the leaves and seed.
3. this is everything I got before I cut it up.
4. This is almost everything after its been cut up, I'm about to paint all the ends. I didn't count everything but I think there are around 40+ blanks. two bat blanks, like 10 goblet blanks, and tons of bowls and HF's.

I think they are in the wrong order but you get the idea.

Norm Zax
03-30-2009, 2:29 AM
Looks like cypress. Very strong odor (some are sensitive to), beautiful grain.

alex carey
03-30-2009, 2:39 AM
Here is the first bowl I made from the cedar. It is 8 1/2 by 3 1/2. I just love that smell. I have turned it wet like this before so this piece is an experiment to see how much it cracks.

CRITIQUES and comments more than welcome.

alex carey
03-30-2009, 2:52 AM
Zorm I looked up Cypress and I think your right, the seeds look the same, I assumed it was juniper because the juniper I have has the same bark and smells the same.

Steve Schlumpf
03-30-2009, 9:16 AM
Alex - congrats on your wood score! Should keep you supplied for quite some time! Cool looking bowl! Hope it holds together for you!

Couldn't help but notice that on your new MM you already have to use duct tape to hold the tailstock together! What's with that? ;)

alex carey
03-30-2009, 1:13 PM
lol no, I just hate throwing away tape if its used only once.

Bernie Weishapl
03-30-2009, 5:53 PM
Congrats on the wood haul and great looking bowl.

David Hullum
03-30-2009, 11:45 PM
We call it Spanish cedar here in Texas. It looks like it the branches are a dead ringer.

Don Carter
03-31-2009, 12:54 AM
Alex:
Great looking bowl! Congrats on the wood, I can't wait to see what comes out of that. BTW, I couldn't help but laugh about your response on the tape. I thought I was the only one that did stuff like that. ;)

Jeff Nicol
03-31-2009, 7:23 AM
Alex, You should be busy for a while! Cedar is a favorite of mine and many others too. Looks like lots of nice crotch wood and every thing in between!

Have fun and keep us posted

Jeff

Dan Carroll
03-31-2009, 10:15 AM
I will dissent on the cypress ID. Leafs are wrong. So is the seed. Juniper is a good guess, and given teh size, Eastern White Cedar looks like a good ID to me. EWC is a large juniper found in the east. I have a couple in the yard. Nice straignt grain, very rot resistant and traditionaly used for boat building.

Dewey Torres
03-31-2009, 1:00 PM
Great score and nice turning...congrats.