PDA

View Full Version : How to seal new wood???

Pat Salter
07-24-2004, 1:39 AM
My neighbor just lost a HUGH limb off his pine tree and has cut it up. I grabbed some of the pieces and I'm hoping to turn them some time. The more I read the more I'm confused.
What should I do with them to prevent cracking etc.? PEG? dishwashing soap? nothing? leave on a shelf for 6 months?
what do you guys do?

Dick Parr
07-24-2004, 6:41 AM
Woodcraft sells a product that is called WOODCRAFT Green Wood End Sealer and it's only $9.50 a qt. It will last a long time. Just get an old or throw away brush and put in on the ends. It goes on white will dry clear with a wax feel. Set your wood aside until you are ready to turn. Very easy. It will keep the end grain from cracking.

Mike Cutler
07-24-2004, 6:53 AM
Pat ."Arbor Seal" is a product that nurseries carry to seal the area on the tree where the limb was cut. It works just fine on the cut off portion also. I know that a lot of people use "Anchor Seal" also to seal the ends, It might be less gooey than "Arbor Seal"

Barbara Gill
07-24-2004, 8:38 AM
Pat, if you plan on doing much turning it would pay to buy a 5 gal. pail of AnchorSeal from UC Coatings. With shipping it will be around $50. I can go through a quart of sealer in short order when I prepare a lot of pieces. Get the sealer with antifreeze in it unless you will be keeping it in a heated location during the winter. Just do a Google search for UC Coatings. I keep a quart of it in a sealed container to make application easier.