PDA

View Full Version : Pink Myrtle burl HF

Curt Fuller
03-29-2009, 11:09 PM
This small hollowform is from a piece of Australian Pink Myrle burl, 5.5" x 3.5". I got a little carried away with the wood burner on this and ended up with a small train track running around the opening. Not to crazy about it but as a very famous turner I know says, "It is what it is."

Dewey Torres
03-29-2009, 11:17 PM
Curt,
Now you've gone and done it!

You will need to make a mini train for the thing so that folks know it is a train track:p I need to finish a project myself...back to the shop!

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2009, 12:02 AM
That's another beauty Curt!

Steve Schlumpf
03-30-2009, 12:51 AM
Curt - great form - as always! Beautiful wood! Interesting burning detail and it still has a southwest flair to it! Really like the photos!

Bill Bolen
03-30-2009, 1:52 AM
Heck Curt I think the "train track" really addsto thepiece.Sure drawsmy eyeto the mouth. Pretty piece...Bill...

Jeff Nicol
03-30-2009, 9:22 AM
Curt, Very nice and love the shape and burning. I need a wood burner, one more thing for the list.

Jeff

Bernie Weishapl
03-30-2009, 9:57 AM
Beautiful piece Curt. I like the rim treatment.

Kim Ford
03-30-2009, 10:04 AM
Curt;

I think it makes the piece. Keep up the good work.

Frank Kobilsek
03-30-2009, 12:49 PM
Curt
I was in your part of the world last week on business. I saw a school bus marked 'Box Elder School District' as I was calling on a customer in Brigham City. Made me laugh. When I find Box Elder in Illinois and put a piece out for display at a show nobody knows what Box Elder is.

I did not sell alot last week in Utah but learned that spring time in Utah is about like spring time in Illinois, 70 and sunshine rapidly followed by wind, snow and rain.

Back to the subject at hand, 'railroad tracks' are fine. Pretty peice of wood and nice finish.

Frank

Curt Fuller
03-30-2009, 9:07 PM
Curt
I was in your part of the world last week on business. I saw a school bus marked 'Box Elder School District' as I was calling on a customer in Brigham City. Made me laugh. When I find Box Elder in Illinois and put a piece out for display at a show nobody knows what Box Elder is.

I did not sell alot last week in Utah but learned that spring time in Utah is about like spring time in Illinois, 70 and sunshine rapidly followed by wind, snow and rain.

Back to the subject at hand, 'railroad tracks' are fine. Pretty peice of wood and nice finish.

Frank

Thanks everyone!

Frank, you're right about the spring weather here in Utah. I woke up to 5" of new snow this morning. The ski resorts got up to 30" and even had some canyon closures for avalanches. It usually goes from cold and snowy to 85 degrees and sunburn in about a week once winter decides to leave. I'm ready for a little sunburn myself.

And there is a lot of Box Elder here, enough to name the largest county after it. I live about 3 miles from the Box Elder county line. But the Box Elder that I've gotten around here has never had the red color in it nor the ambrosia beetle enhancements. We do get some nice burl on the trees here though.