PDA

View Full Version : Planer motor needed

Mark Hultzapple
03-29-2009, 10:50 PM
Guys and Gals,
I may have a chance to pickup a Central Machinery, 15 in. planer for next to nothing. Sorry no model number yet. The planer is heavier than heck but needs a motor. Does anyone have suggestions on HP required, voltage, where to get a motor suitable for this application and how much are we talking? Also I am interested in opinions on the quality of Central Machinery. Response will be appreciated.

Dan Friedrichs
03-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Central Machinery is what Harbor Freight carries. Pretty low-end imported junk, IMHO. But if it's free, then....

Michael Donahue
03-29-2009, 11:01 PM
Guys and Gals,
I may have a chance to pickup a Central Machinery, 15 in. planer for next to nothing. Sorry no model number yet. The planer is heavier than heck but needs a motor. Does anyone have suggestions on HP required, voltage, where to get a motor suitable for this application and how much are we talking? Also I am interested in opinions on the quality of Central Machinery. Response will be appreciated.

Isn't that the brand they sell at Harbor Freight? I didn't think they sold machinery that big though.

As far as horsepower, Grizzly (for example) has some 15" planers with 3 HP motors. That might give you an idea where to start looking.

Rod Sheridan
03-30-2009, 8:07 AM
15 inch planers had 2 to 3 HP motors on them.

2 HP is perfectly adequate.........Rod.

David Freed
03-30-2009, 11:25 AM
About 18 or 20 years ago, I bought a Makita 2040 15 5/8" planer. I didn't do my homework like I should have. After using it for a few hours, I realized that I had to do something because it had no power at all. With much adapting, I installed a 3 hp farm duty motor. It was a very usable machine after that. I have a 5hp 20" planer now, and I consider it underpowered. I have a 7 1/2 hp motor that I am thinking about putting in it.

You have to buy a motor. Don't short yourself. Many people think it is fine to make several passes to do what should just take 1 or 2. I don't buy machines to baby them, I buy them to use them. I would look for at least 3 hp.

I always wire motors for 220 volts.

In my opinion, Central Machinery is pretty low quality. I wouldn't count on a long working life.

Mark Hultzapple
03-30-2009, 7:25 PM
I thought Harbor freight sold that brand but I too don't remember anything that large. I don't want to put alot of money in it so I guess for free I wouldn't lose much. How much do you think I would get in a 3 horse motor?

David Freed
03-30-2009, 7:47 PM
The free part is good, but I also agree that I wouldn't want to put a lot of money into a low quality machine. I haven't looked for a while, but a new, brand name motor from a reputable business may run $200-$400. you might want to look for a used one.

Tom Veatch
03-31-2009, 3:20 AM
I thought Harbor freight sold that brand but I too don't remember anything that large. I don't want to put alot of money in it so I guess for free I wouldn't lose much. How much do you think I would get in a 3 horse motor?

I'm looking for 3HP, 1ph, 1725rpm, TEFC, motor now for a replacement/upgrade on my bandsaw. Most of what I'm finding locally in NEMA standard frames for new, name brand motors suitable for my application is running mostly in the upper end of the $350 to $500 range. An IEC 1ph, 2KW motor with the special mount configuration required to be a bolt on replacement is closer to $800 from the saw manufacturer. I'll weld up a mount and use the NEMA configuration.

Pay very close attention to the frame size requirement for the planer. Being HF, I'll almost bet the rent money that it's not a standard NEMA frame and you'll have to modify something to get a commonly available motor installed.

Rick Fisher
03-31-2009, 3:27 AM
I mounted a 5hp Baldor on my Bandsaw. It came stock with a 3hp. I rarely use my Table Saw for anything other than plywood anymore.

There is a lot to be said for having lots of power. Its not needed, but its nicer too use.

I rip lumber on it all the time now. It will cut faster and safer than the tablesaw.

Power is good.

David Werkheiser
03-31-2009, 8:35 AM
I would look in the Grizzly catalog, I know they sell motors and mag. switches. Another option is if you live near a Amish community is stop at the machinery dealers, they sell machinery to Amish wood workers with out motors, to be run with hydraulics. My first planer was a Grizzly with out motor and I paid $200 for mag. sw. and motor
David Werkheiser

Chip Lindley
03-31-2009, 12:56 PM
Mark, IF the machine is FREE, you can afford to put a decent 2hp motor on it. (3hp if you're lucky) You need at least a 2hp (12+/-Amp/230V), 3450rpm motor with 7/8" shaft. You will have to find a motor pulley (most are 3-sheave) same diameter as the original, which mates with the pulley on your cutter head. Probably any generic Tiawanese pulley as offered by Grizzly, etc. will match. Understand that the pulley ratio must be maintained to turn the cutterhead about 5000-5200 rpm (typical)

A magnetic motor starter is not a necessisity, but is nice to have! My old RC33 Rockwell 2hp, 13" planer from the 80's came with just an on/off toggle switch rated @ 20A. IF the motor has its own overload protection, a on/off switch is basically sufficient. Otherwise you need a magnetic (or manual) starter with overload protection to prevent burning up your *investment*

Cary Falk
03-31-2009, 1:13 PM
I got a Northern Tool catalog in the mail yesterday. They had some good prices on motors. You might look on their website also.

Craig Moulton
03-31-2009, 1:15 PM
No affiliations here. I occasionally have to make temporary system projects at work...

Grainger industrial supply has a good motor searcher tool. HP, voltage, phases, type of mounting, etc. Sometimes they have decent clearance items too.

Jim C Martin
04-12-2015, 5:48 PM
Hi David:
Reviving a 6yo thread.
Would you happen to have any pics of how you adapted a real RI motor to a Makita? Did you put it under the casting where the original was located? What did you do for pulley diameters to maintain the right cutterhead speed?
The original Makita motor runs faster than the cutterhead so to pulleys reduce the speed. If you had 3450rpm motor you'd need almost a 2:1 increase. Any pointers appreciated!
Thanks,
Jim

With much adapting, I installed a 3 hp farm duty motor.