PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Table Saw

Dan Henry
03-29-2009, 9:22 PM
What would be a good price for an old Craftsman Table Saw with a cast iron top, one made by Emerson with the belt drive maybe 15 to 20 years old with the not so good fence.

Dan

Dustin Lane
03-29-2009, 9:39 PM
I got mine for $20 or so at auction, but i've seen them on CL going up to $100ish.

scott spencer
03-29-2009, 9:55 PM
I see them frequently in the $75-$200 range...depending on condition, features, and the greed/ignorance factor...:D

Andy Bardowell
03-29-2009, 10:10 PM
I wouldn't pay any more than $100 or so US for one Dan. I can't really complain though I bought one about three years ago (from the ‘80s I think), over paid $225 CDN if I remember correctly. It took a lot of restoration but it has served well and many projects have gone across that saw. The only real beef I had was cutting any type of joints such as tenons too much run out.

Pat Germain
03-30-2009, 8:39 AM
Sounds like my saw.

Are you sure you want it? I would recommend checking the arbor. If it's like mine, it will have a divet in it. This creates problems when using a dado blade. Apparently, people have been successful at remedying this situation by filling in the divet with JB Weld, epoxy or other materials. But be sure to check and be aware of this issue.

1990's Craftsman contractor saws are for sale all over the place where I live. The prices are also all over the place. Some clowns are asking what the saw sold for new. :rolleyes: Since there is such a big supply of these machines, just over $100 for an example with no upgrades seems reasonable to me. Aftermarket upgrades would improve the saw and therefore improve the price. So, I would add roughly half the total retail cost of the upgrades.