PDA

View Full Version : Decent CLTT printer?

Dan Hintz
03-29-2009, 7:57 PM
I know this isn't exactly laser engraver territory, but I know a number of you also do dye-sub work. Now that I've upgraded my main system, I need to upgrade my printer due to a lack of a printer port. I'm looking for a color laser that can eventually be used for CLTT... suggestions?

I have a preference for HP machines, but I'll consider any mainstream brand.

Mike Null
03-30-2009, 5:44 AM
Dan

The two brands which are getting the most hype for CLT are Okidata and Konica Minolta. I believe a search on this forum will turn up the models or you can check with paper suppliers.

Mine is a 9 year old Panasonic purchased especially for CLT back when laser printers were expensive.

Joe Hayes
03-30-2009, 7:32 AM
As Mike mentioned selecting a printer that your paper supplier recommends is a good idea IMHO. I use Color Magic paper and they have been recommending specific OKI printer for a few years. Most paper companies have done a lot of testing so it saves me time and trouble using a printer they recommend.

Martin Boekers
03-30-2009, 8:14 AM
I think Oki's are recommended for there price. They are a bit cheaper for start up (not sure on toner costs)

You should be able to find a "legal size" for under $500 and a tabloid size of a bit over $1000.

I use a Xerox Phaser it works fine with the transfers. It's a bit more expensive
about $1300 (legal size), but man is it fast!

I bought this for the speed and quality as I do short run publishing and calendars with this and the speed and consistancy really make a difference.

Marty

Dan Hintz
03-30-2009, 8:49 PM
I wish there was a way to subscribe to threads and keep them at the top of a personal home page, like in other forums. I didn't realize this one was moved (or had replies) until I searched for it :(

Anyway, I expected something in the $500 range would be adequate (knowing some surprisingly decent CLs can be had for a few hundred $s), but I'll certainly consider more if it means I'll get a useful machine.

I still need to do some more research on CLTT in general... at the moment, I'm not even sure if it uses the standard toner cartridges and special paper, etc. Now that I know the sign forum is the proper place to look, I'll limit my searches to here.

Joe Hayes
03-30-2009, 11:03 PM
I still need to do some more research on CLTT in general... at the moment, I'm not even sure if it uses the standard toner cartridges and special paper, etc.

CLTT that I am familiar with used standard toner and special paper. I tired a couple different types of paper then Mike Null pointed me to Magic Touch Paper. They recommend the OKI which is what I had bought for CLTT and standard printing of bills, proofs, receipts etc, etc. We get our toner cartridge refiled at a place called Cartridge World (chain) at a lower price than buying from the regular places.
We have had good luck with the Magic Touch paper and the people at MT have been helpful when we have had questions or needed their help tweaking setting. The Oki models they recommned have mutiple places for the papers to be feed through and you can adjust the amount of toner being used on the special paper. That may be part of the reasons they recommend them. If you want to learn more on CLTT you can vist there web site - just google Magic Touch. I don't think I am supposed to post links on this forum. Best of luck, we are still learning on CLTT but have been using it for several products over the last few months and our success has been good thus far.

Dan Hintz
03-31-2009, 11:28 AM
Thanks, guys, I'll check out all of these leads. I'm not in a rush on this one as I am trying to build up the laser side of things, but I want to be prepared with useful answers for when (not if) dye-sub type questions start to come in.