PDA

View Full Version : Miter saw

Jeff Smi
03-29-2009, 7:36 PM
Looking at purchasing a new miter saw to replace my "tool shop special" that can't cut straight.

I'm looking at a Bosch 4410L, or a Dewalt DW717. What are your guys thoughts on ether saw ? I played around with both today, I felt the Bosch was a better saw.

Josh Reid
03-29-2009, 7:47 PM
Makita LS1013FL

James Ireland
03-29-2009, 9:18 PM
What will you use the saw for? Maybe you could look for the fine homebuilding article from a few months back, they did a round-up and it highlighted the pros and cons of each which may help you decide which is best for you.

I have had the Bosch 5412L for over a year now. It replaced a 10 year old Makita 10" slider (which served me faithfully). The up-front controls have made this saw the most enjoyable of any saw I've used. I like that the blade guard has a slit you can see through to the blade to allow you to line up the cut mark with the blade teeth. The movable handle/trigger, adjustable sliding stops, and onboard tool storage is nice too. You need to use a zero clearance jig of some description for cutting small pieces but that could be said for many saws. Also the table is a little smaller than the competition.

Two friends of mine have the Dewalt 12" SCMS. Both are great saws and have their advantages. Specifically, I like that you can reach the blade guard when your hand is on the trigger (handy when you want to roll up the guard a bit for better visibility). Also the cut capacity is a little more. Good for cutting posts without flipping etc.

As mentioned above, make sure to check out the Makita, they are great no-nonsense saws that you will be able to pass along to your kids. Haven't seen the milwaukee outside of the stores but another friend of mine bought one recently and he says it's the cat's meow.

John Morrison60
03-29-2009, 9:35 PM
I did a lot of research on this one, and ended up with the Makita 1013FL.
I still think it is the class act, but do not forget to consider where you will use it in your shop.
I didn't consider the rear space requirement enough, and I ended up with the
Festool Kapex to replace the Makita. I like the Kapex, but I think that the Makita
is as capable as long as you can give it the amount of rear room that it needs.

Take care
John

Steve Rozmiarek
03-29-2009, 10:21 PM
Makita LS1013FL

+1, can't go wrong with that one.