PDA

View Full Version : Tyzack? Harvey Peace? Good Saw Brands.

Chris Thompson
07-23-2004, 9:39 PM
I'm scouring ebay lately for dovetail saws (2 of them isn't enough) and while I'm keeping close eye on any Disston, I'm also seeing some other brands I've never heard of.

What's the quality of Tyzack and Sons, C.E. Jennings, and Harvey Peace?

Disstonian Institute is a great resource, but is there something that is not brand specific?

Steve Wargo
07-23-2004, 11:16 PM
I've used both a Tyzack backsaw and I also have a coffin smoother. Will probably sell for a bit more than disstons though. Also another outstanding saw to look for is a Jackson , or Spear and Jackson. They are all English backsaws (including the Tyzack) and are excellent Quality steel and ergonomics wise. Hope this helps. You can never have too many saws.

Roger Bell
07-23-2004, 11:16 PM
This question comes up from time to time, and, as far as I can tell from previous discussion, there are very few "internet sites" which have much to offer in this regard on brands other than Disston. The internet is, after all, limited, and it's value in research is somewhat overrated. In my personal, highly biased opinion, the internet contributes more to modern "group think" than television ever did. This might be part of the reason that Disston saws command higher prices than other, equally good saws.

There are a few good books out there. The MWTCA has some publications that pertain, as does Martin Donnelly's site with a choice of several vintage (repro) saw catalogs and general line catalogs that include saws. You can glean a great deal of info from catalogs (just like today with today's tools). Would also recommend Erv Shaffler's book (Handsaw Makers of North America) which is the best effort so far to catalog the various saw factories with basic identity info which really helps ID logos/etchings, etc. and to ball-park date a saw you might have.

To speak directly to your question...each of the makers you list made quality saws. Most factories made various lines, including top of the line down to the more common or handyman lines. In other words, a higher end early 20th century Atkins or Simonds will offer nicer features and better overall quality and satisfaction than a lower end 50's vintage Disston....for example. In fact, the Atkins and Simonds lines are among the best values in quality saws since they dont get the internet "press" that Disstons do. Remember not to get sucked into paying more than you should for a saw that is priced high due to its rarity alone. You can find more common but equally well made saws for good if not cheap prices rather easily....compared to most vintage tools. And dont get lured into thinking that one particular brand is necessarily "better" than another. I collect and use timber saws and I can tell you with some authority that both Simonds and Atkins are considered superior to Disston by most in the know.

Each saw must be judged on its own merits in terms of condition, features, rarity vs. utility and so on when bidding or buying. But typically, the older saws were made for discerning professional customers who demanded a reasonable or better standard of quality and would not gladly suffer inferior products (just like todays customer demand for chop saws. cordless drills etc.)...there was tremedous competition and most well known factories produced a decent product. So if the saw appears in good or better condition and the price is right, you dont have a lot to lose. In fact, in terms of vintage tools, saws still represent the best bargains to be had in terms of low prices for great tools. Can't say that about planes anymore now can we? So go all-out and buy several when you find them priced right. Should have done that with common Stanley planes years ago...right?

In the end, it is how you sharpen and tune the saw that is most critical to its performance in woodworking rather than minor differences among brands.

Marc Hills
07-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Roger's post astutely illustrates the limitations of the internet (in general, and eBay in particular) and its impact on the perceived value of vintage hand tool brands. A relative plethora of information exists for Disston, in the case of hand saws, and Stanley, in the case of hand planes. While both did in fact market a very high quality product, the relative dirth of information on their competitors' offerings has in many cases translated to a lower market valuation for brand alternatives. Add to that fact that in later years both Disston and Stanley marketed some truly substandard tools, and you have a wide disparity in market value relative to actual quality.

Who benefits from this outcome? I say the discriminating old tool user. One who is less concerned with brand identity (and, I acknowledge, potential resale value), and more with actual woodworking utility. Savy users understand that that certain house brand saws and planes were actually manufactured by Disston, Atkins, Sargant and Stanley, or that lesser known competitors like Spear and Jackson, Simonds, Ohio and Union were at various times functionally equal to or superior to their more successful competitors.

Take a hard look in the mirror and decide why you are seeking out old tools. If it is for collector value, then by all means concentrate on the Stanley 45's and the Disston D-8's. But if you honestly see your vintage hand tool forays as a means to equip yourself to work wood, then excellent value can be found in the lesser known (and understood) alternatives.

It is forums like this that an appreciation for less mainstream vintage tools can be found.

Mark Singer
07-24-2004, 2:27 AM
I own a Tyzack and Turner, a Spear and Jackson a Taylor Bros. all beautiful with heavy brass backs. I have a few Distons with steel backs. Condition is important...any kinks , bends or pitting at the edge is bad. It is hard to tell from Ebay pics.They will need to be sharpened and that is key to performance.

Alan Turner
07-26-2004, 10:09 AM
I have a couple of comments. Tyzack waas made in Sheffield, till about 1985, and per Tom Law has good steel, and is an excellent saw. I have my Father's, a 3" by 8", but it is too short for my taste, so son't use it much.
Jackson was the 2d line of Disston. A lower quality handle, but I think (here I am on thin memory ice) the same steel.
Spears and Jackson is an English saw, of very fine quality. I have a 14 x 4, filed cross cut, and it is a workhorse.
Atkins, made in Cleveland (I think) is a very fine saw. The steel is slightly harder on the Atkins than on the Disstons, and you can feel and hear this when you file them.
Being far from an expert, I welcome being corrected. Sometimes wrong, never in doubt.
Alan

James Carmichael
07-26-2004, 11:36 AM
I've used both a Tyzack backsaw and I also have a coffin smoother. Will probably sell for a bit more than disstons though. Also another outstanding saw to look for is a Jackson , or Spear and Jackson. They are all English backsaws (including the Tyzack) and are excellent Quality steel and ergonomics wise. Hope this helps. You can never have too many saws.

Try Pete Taran's site, VintageSaws.com. Pete is pretty Disston-centric, also, but has some info and sells other brands as well. like Atkins and Bishop. Also lots of good info on sharpening.

I believe he also sells the book on American Saw manufacturers, if you're looking for a good reference.