PDA

View Full Version : Question

Dave Halter
03-29-2009, 6:59 PM
I have been asked to make a walnut gear shift knob for someone. I've got the knob shaped, but he wants the shift pattern put in the top in white. I think I've got it figured out how I'm going to etch/stamp the pattern in, but what can I use to fill the groove and make it white? I'm worried that whatever is used will bleed out into the wood. Anybody have any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

Bill O'Conner
03-29-2009, 8:03 PM
this might be better asked over on the laser forum

Can't remember what Nancy told me to get for my pens, but if you have a finish on the shifter should be able to wipe off the extra before it dries

Bill

Gary Max
03-29-2009, 8:44 PM
Or tell the guy your a woodworker not a painter and he would be better off getting it engraved somewhere.

Eric Roberge
03-29-2009, 8:54 PM
Could it be etched in then filled with a white epoxy and sanded to remove the excess? Just a guess, I've never actually done it before:confused:

If not, then Gary's plan will work;)

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I have put white pigment in epoxy and fill the grooves. Once dry sand to level then finish.

Brian Brown
03-30-2009, 12:02 AM
You could use crushed white corral, or Craft Supply USA has white inlace. Fill the engraved area, then when hardened, sand flush.

Kyle Iwamoto
03-30-2009, 3:16 PM
Contrasting colored wood dust and glue? White is unfortunantly hard to create, white wood and CA may work. White Corian dust and CA may also work. Just an idea. I use wood dust and glue all the time to patch holes.

Do a test run before ruining your shift knob.

Dave Halter
03-30-2009, 7:14 PM
I'll give some of these a try and see what works.

Thanks,
Dave

Darryl Hansen
03-30-2009, 7:30 PM
Try Inlace. Go to turtlefeathers.com

They will help with all sorts of questions and their prices are the best for inlay material

CW McClellan
03-30-2009, 8:19 PM
Cut numbers into walnut by dremel tool --crush white chalk mix with clear epoxy--press into numbers --dry overnite --sand and polish:D