PDA

View Full Version : Two Shaker Candlestands

Jim Kountz
03-29-2009, 4:20 PM
These are two Candlestands I made some time last year and never got around to posting them. I made them right after I got my new Jet lathe and I wanted something to tun on it and this seemed like a good project to try it out.
One is in cherry and the other walnut. I made the Cherry one first and the wife just insisted the top was upside down and that the chamfer should be on the top so when I did the walnut one I did just that. I like them either way but the chamfer on the bottom is authentic to the original. The plan I used was from Uncle Norms first or second book, cant remember which.
They were too big for my current photo booth so in front of the big screen it was!!

Comments and critiques welcome!!

I just checked these pictures on my laptop and the color was great, the cherry was a nice rich color, looked good. Now Im looking at them on my desktop and the cherry looks horrible!! Orange even!! I hope it doesnt look like that to everyon else, hopefully its just my monitor!!

Brian Effinger
03-29-2009, 4:54 PM
Very nice Jim. Did you dovetail the legs into the center support?

Tony De Masi
03-29-2009, 4:55 PM
Well done Jim. I must side with you also as far as the chamfer goes. Looks more "normal" on the underside.

Tony

Jim Kountz
03-29-2009, 6:01 PM
Very nice Jim. Did you dovetail the legs into the center support?

Yes I did. I made a jig that fit between the ways on the lathe and just routed them in place after turning them. I first made a "flat" using a 3/4" bit, then hogged out most of the waste with a 3/8" straight bit then finally the dovetail slot. Worked pretty slick.

Dewey Torres
03-29-2009, 6:02 PM
Only the first pic looks orange on my computer. These legs look familiar...Are these the same ones in your new tutorial? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=108523)

John Keeton
03-29-2009, 6:04 PM
Jim, those look great! I get a little orange on the cherry as well, but more on the top view. On the chamfer - definitely agree that it goes on the underside. On the walnut table, the grain match on the top turned out very nice.

Jim Becker
03-29-2009, 8:41 PM
Beautiful work, Jim!! I love round candle stands like these...I've built two and will likely build more over time. Great project!

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2009, 8:49 PM
Jim - very nice stands! They both turned out excellent! Walnut looks really good - but I love the cherry! Beautiful work! Thanks for sharing!

Jim Kountz
03-29-2009, 8:54 PM
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the nice comments.

Dewey: Those are close but the ones in my tutorial are actually from a Federal Tilt Top Table. The shaker legs are a little thinner and shaped slightly different but good eye on that!!

Jim: I saw one you made and it is absolutely gorgeous!! I love the grain in yours, wish I had some of that lumber!!

Jim Kountz
03-29-2009, 8:58 PM
Beautiful work, Jim!! I love round candle stands like these...I've built two and will likely build more over time. Great project!

Jim, what plans if any were you following when you built yours? I kinda like the legs on yours better, seem a little more shaker-ish if you know what I mean.

Jim Kountz
03-29-2009, 9:57 PM
These legs look familiar...Are these the same ones in your new tutorial? (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=108523)

Dewey the legs in my tutorial are from this:

John Thompson
03-30-2009, 12:03 PM
Great job on the CS's Jim. I love the delicate legs and the cherry looks great for this piece.

Sarge..

Jim Kountz
03-30-2009, 6:43 PM
Thanks John, I have a few more cherry planks from that same tree that Ive been saving for something special. Fantastic grain in those.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-30-2009, 6:47 PM
Jim...very nicely done! I've got some cherry acclimating in my shop. It is destined to be Norm's "Martha Washington candle stand" which is very close to that last one you posted.

Jim Kountz
03-30-2009, 7:56 PM
Ken thats another fine piece, I had forgotten all about it actually. Its the one with the "birdcage" right??