PDA

View Full Version : Thanks to Mike Henderson...

Chuck Jones
03-29-2009, 3:04 PM
... for the instructions on making the sharpening disk. I made it some time ago to sharpen and hone a set of "mini" lathe tools. It worked great for that.

I’ve only been using (learning) the lathe for about a year and a half. I’ve had an urge to try carving for a while, but hesitated to take on another learning curve and tool buying extravaganza. After looking at your carving tutorials and other information you have posted, I finally caved in. and bought a few Pfeil tools.. My shop is about a quarter mile from my house and when the tools arrived yesterday I didn’t have your tutorials at hand, so I started on a pattern I happened to have in the shop. It was a bit too complicated for a first piece, but gave me a feel for the tools. Today I started on your simple flower. I think I might actually be able to do that!

I became frustrated trying to reconcile everyone’s advice on which tools to buy so on impulse I bought Woodcraft’s March Special. All of the tools seem great except the bench knife. The blade is too long for me (at least for now). I dug out one of my old Case pocket knives from my collection. Boy did the sharpening disk put a razor sharp edge on that old knife. I think it will beat the bench knife by a mile.

Thanks again for all the information you so freely share with everyone here and on your web site.

Chuck Jones

Mike Henderson
03-29-2009, 3:56 PM
It was a shock to see my name in a forum title - but thanks. The guy who originally taught me how to carve also taught me that sharpening disk. In the years since, I've refined it a bit but the idea came from him (and he probably got it from someone else).

Thank you for your kind words. If I can be of any assistance to you in your carving or sharpening, please call on me.

I wish you great success in your carving.

Mike