PDA

View Full Version : Spalted Hackberry and Walnut

Ken Vonk
03-29-2009, 2:48 PM
This is the biggest hollow form I've attempted. The hollow form is spalted hackberry and the lid is claro walnut. Both pieces have turquoise filling. It measures 10" in diameter and 4 1/2 inches tall not counting the lid. The lid is 2 1/4" in diameter and 2 1/2" tall. The whole thing is finished with gloss poly. I'm going to put on a last coat of semi-gloss or perhaps sand with about 2400 grit micromesh to soften the shine a little. I call this piece Genesis. Please give me your comments and suggestions.

Thanks, Ken

Jarrod McGehee
03-29-2009, 3:21 PM
That thing is AWESOME!!!!! and I love the turquoise you put in there. it really makes it look way better. Nice work

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2009, 5:46 PM
Great looking piece out of some outstanding wood.

Dewey Torres
03-29-2009, 5:55 PM
Nice looking work. How did you come up with Genesis for the name?

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2009, 6:08 PM
Very nice work Ken! Real good form, beautiful wood and I love your use of color! This piece really catches your eye! Very nice!

Benjamin Dahl
03-29-2009, 6:09 PM
Ken, very nice piece. The turquoise really adds to it.
Thanks,
Ben

Dave Halter
03-29-2009, 7:20 PM
Wow, very eye catching. There's a lot going on visually in that piece of wood and the inlay really sets it off.

Dave

Ken Vonk
03-29-2009, 8:29 PM
[quote]Nice looking work. How did you come up with Genesis for the name? [quote]

Dewey, the spalting reminds me of clouds or mist. When I added the turquoise it reminded me of Genesis 1:2b "And the spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters."

Thanks for all the kind comments,

Ken

Don Carter
03-29-2009, 9:18 PM
Ken:
That is a beautiful piece! How was the spalted hickory to turn? I have some spalting as we speak.

Ken Vonk
03-29-2009, 9:29 PM
Don, this piece was spalted Hackberry, not hickory. The spalting is very nice looking and I've heard that this type of wood spalts easily. As for turning Hackberry. I didn't like it very much. I roughed turned it to about 1" thick and that wasn't too bad. Very wet though. After 3 months or so it quit loosing weight and then I finished it. When dry it was terrible for tearout (pun intended..lol). Then there were hard spots that were hard to sand and keep smooth. So I had to use the 120 grit gouge....lol. Just a few small cracks after drying. It has a porous grain that really sucks up the poly. Other than that I'm happy with the way it turned out.

Ken

Jim Kountz
03-29-2009, 10:04 PM
Just when I thought Ive seen some neat looking grain.......That is amazing!! Great job!!

Don Carter
03-29-2009, 10:10 PM
Sorry, Ken, I meant to say hackberry....thanks. I am trying to judge when the right spalting stage has been reached.

alex carey
03-30-2009, 12:38 AM
That is a great piece, the color of the wood combines with the turquoise is awesome, nicely done.

Jeff Nicol
03-30-2009, 9:24 AM
Ken, That is very nice! I like the turquoise inlay and I just bought some at woodcraft on Saturday so I will be trying it soon! Great job on the HF and keep up the good work!

Jeff

Ken Vonk
03-30-2009, 1:07 PM
Jeff, I got my turquoise from a big gem show in Tucson. I put the big chunks in an old blender and then sift the pieces. I then fill the voids with turquoise powder and CA glue in place.

Ken

Wayne Bower
03-30-2009, 3:20 PM
WOW, that is a beautiful piece. Great wood and shape.