PDA

View Full Version : MiniMax 16 blade guides?

Bruce Page
03-29-2009, 12:53 PM
Has anyone changed out the European style guides on their MM16 for a Carter bearing type?

I have never been a big fan of the European style.

Richard Wolf
03-29-2009, 2:06 PM
I have an older MM20. I changed to the Laguna ceramic guides. I am happy with them and they work well. Not cheap.

http://www.lagunatools.com/bandsaw.guides.aspx

Richard

Larry Fox
03-29-2009, 3:32 PM
Yep - did it right after I got my saw. I am not a fan of the Euro guides. I like the carters. Ask any questions you have and I will do my best to answer - including pics if you like. One thing , if you do order them make sure you ask for the longer brackets for the lowers - otherwise they are too far below the table.

Chris Padilla
03-29-2009, 3:32 PM
I'll admit that the Euro bearings on my MM20 are the ONLY ones I've ever used but what don't you like about them, Bruce? Mine have done just fine near as I can tell.

Doug Shepard
03-29-2009, 4:27 PM
I had Carters on my 14" Jet and liked them but must say that I dont miss the need for Allen wrenches vs the MM16 Euro guides as far as making adjustments go. Is the switch due to wanting something better for narrow blades? I know there are problems with setting the MM16 guides right at max table tilt angles too, but so far I've been fairly happy with the MM16 guides.

Bruce Page
03-29-2009, 4:36 PM
Yep - did it right after I got my saw. I am not a fan of the Euro guides. I like the carters. Ask any questions you have and I will do my best to answer - including pics if you like. One thing , if you do order them make sure you ask for the longer brackets for the lowers - otherwise they are too far below the table.

Larry, I'd love to see some pics, especially of the lower guide.
Chris, I can’t seem to get the lock nut tight enough and I refuse to resort to a pair of Channel locks. They are also annoyingly loud.

Ed Calkins
03-29-2009, 4:40 PM
I have very limited time on my new MM16 but so far (and only using a 1/2" blade) the guides have been easy to adjust and seem to work well -- nice cuts etc.

jerry cousins
03-29-2009, 6:15 PM
after a few years with the euros i went to carters - but was not very happy with them - then put on laguna ceramics - like it's been said - not cheap - but great product. i primarily use the mm16 for slicing veneers - the ceramics have been the best.
jerry

Jim O'Dell
03-29-2009, 6:34 PM
I have the MM E16 and it has the same style euro guides as the MM16. The one thing I see about the euro type that may not be as good as the Carter style, is the guide surface slides across the body of the blade, in an arc, when it is touching. That has to introduce some friction, and therefore heat. The carter guide bearing would roll across the body of the blade, like a tire on the road. Less friction when it is touching. Now, what I don't know is, are the Carter style bearings supposed to be in contact with the blade at all times? Or are they only supposed to touch when the blade flexes to the side like the euro style? I haven't really looked at the Laguna ceramic guides, but don't they just rub against the blade body when the blade flexes, but not spin? Looks like that would also create friction and heat, even though ceramic material should dissipate heat well, the blade would still have the same problem. Jim.

Bruce Page
03-29-2009, 7:14 PM
Jim, the MM salesman told me to place a dollar bill between the guides & blade and adjust the guides until they just drag and you’re able to pull the bill out. If you have any blade wobble (I think they all wobble a little) you’re still making some contact with the guide.
I adjust the rear guide up to the blade and then back it out a smidge.

Larry Fox
03-29-2009, 7:36 PM
QED

Lowers not usually that grimy but was resawing some mahogany the other night and didn't get a chance to blow them out.

Bruce Page
03-29-2009, 7:41 PM
Thanks for the pictures Larry. I think that's the way I want to go. Were they pricey?

Bruce Page
03-29-2009, 7:46 PM
Larry, I just looked through the Carter website and didn't see the MM16 listed. Which one did you order?

edit:
Duh, I just found it.

Larry Fox
03-29-2009, 8:55 PM
I bought mine used off a guy who had them on an MM-20. They have, I believe, an entry on the site for Centaro. A call to them would get you the model numbers. If you want to run wider blades you will need to get their 'extender kit'. The kit is nothing more than 4 extra bearings and longer screws.

Faust M. Ruggiero
03-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Bruce,
Call Carter and tell them the model you own and they will send the correct guides. Be sure to but the double bearing style meant for blades wider than 1/2". I changed mine and am happy with the results but to tell you the truth, I can't say they are dramatically better than the Euro guides that came with my MM16. I'm afraid I am guilty of buying them only because they are quicker to adjust after blade change. They do run cooler than the Euro guides. I remember paying in the neighborhood of $220 or so.
fmr

guy knight
03-29-2009, 10:22 PM
i went from carter guides on my rikon to euro on my mm20 i will never go back they work great and are easy to adjust and if you take them off and polish them on a flat surface using 2000 grit they will be really smooth

Bruce Page
03-29-2009, 10:50 PM
i went from carter guides on my rikon to euro on my mm20 i will never go back they work great and are easy to adjust and if you take them off and polish them on a flat surface using 2000 grit they will be really smooth

Guy, I think I'll give that a try.
Thanks

Bruce Page
03-29-2009, 10:54 PM
I bought mine used off a guy who had them on an MM-20. They have, I believe, an entry on the site for Centaro. A call to them would get you the model numbers. If you want to run wider blades you will need to get their 'extender kit'. The kit is nothing more than 4 extra bearings and longer screws.

Larry, I keep a 1" on it most of the time so I'd need the extender kit.
Now I just have to decide if I want to spend $250+ on them.
Your pictures help a lot, I might do some homework and make my own.

Are the bolts that hold the bearings excentric?

Roy Wall
03-29-2009, 10:57 PM

Guy - can you expand on this? DO you mean polish and flatten the 'side guides' so they fit against the blade better?

My issue with the euro guides on my MM20 is the 'amount of play' in them. You can 'lock' them in place just a hair away from the blade, but there is sideways movement on both L & R guides.....always have been. Have these been defective in the 3 years I've owned the machine and never known it?