PDA

View Full Version : 20" PM planer fair price?

Joe Mioux
07-23-2004, 7:08 PM
There is a guy in town that is selling a Powermatic 20" planer with a blade sharpener. I asked him what he wanted for it and he said $6500!:eek: My question to you all, is what is a fair price? Or... Should my first question be, do I need a 20" planer? This would be my first planer. All responses are greatly appreciated.

regards
joe

Pete Rosenbohm
07-23-2004, 7:38 PM
Joe thats pretty steep, if you not are in the furniture business i don't see the need for that big of a planer. You can pick up a table top Delta, Dewalt or Ryobi 12 1/2" for 350.00 or there about.

Pete

Mike Cutler
07-23-2004, 8:25 PM
Joe. Unless that blade sharpener is worth $4500, something is not right. A 20" Powermatic planer is about $2000 new, ( I did a search on amazon). Even with a Byrd cutting head it wouldn't be that much. Maybe something is different about this particular planer tho.
As to the question of " Do I need a planer this big?" only you can answer that one. I have a 15" Jet planer and it takes up a fair bit of real estate, and I have a project coming up that it may not be wide enough for. My .02 fwiw

Steve Clardy
07-23-2004, 8:28 PM
At that price , it's a commercial planer, used in large cabinet and millwork shops. Those come with a sharpener. New price, probably around 12-14 thou.:eek:
Steve

Steven Wilson
07-23-2004, 8:50 PM
That sounds like the older Powermatic 221-20 planer from the late 50's, early 60's. It's similar in construction to the PM180 and PM224 which were discontinued a couple of years back. These planers are big, very heavy, great machines that will run forever. Anyhow, if the planer is in great shape, all parts are present, and the sharpener is intact then it should sell for $3200 or so; $6500 is too much.

Jim Becker
07-23-2004, 9:42 PM
It may also be the "evil 3-phase"...

Joe Mioux
07-23-2004, 10:08 PM
I dont think its three phase, but the thing is big, low and ugly (even for pwermatic) yellow. He also said that you can shave with the blades.

Joe Mioux
07-23-2004, 10:22 PM
The pros to this, is that the thing is only about five blocks or 1.5 minutes away from where I live. (not a big deal to get it to my house). Tomorrow, I will ask him the model number and othe specifics, so that I can pass that on to you all.

The cons are that the thing is sort of big. Just guessing, about 3.5 wide. and abou the same tall.

what other questions should I ask of him regarding the planer.

btw the reason he is selling it, is that he suffered two strokes this and last year, and is giving up woodworking. he has a whole shop of equipment. ie craftesman jointer, drill press, saw blades and his band saw and table saw is ...... im drawing a blank.... but it is two names Beal and something.... I think it is linked to a trade school name.

any way any help is appreciated. or if any of you are interested in his stuff, I would be happy to supply some info

Best Regards
joe

John Weber
07-23-2004, 10:44 PM
Joe,

It's maybe worth $6500 and cost more new, but there is not much of a market for the mid sized (16"/18"/20") anymore. Large shops want a large 24"/30"/36" planer if they are going for an industrial PM. And they are typically to large and heavy for home shops. If it's in mint condition with a sharpener I would go maybe $2500. I've seen many at auction sell for $500 - $2000, with most selling under $1000 (just to difficult to move and most existing shops already have a big planer). If he bought it new he likely has over $6500 in it, but the market just won't stand that price. Plus there are to many good options; new imported planers, european combo machines, or other used machines such as a 18" Delta Wedgebed planer. On the plus side you would never need a new machine. Built like a tank and then some. Made to run everyday all day. Good adjustments and variable feed rates. The grinder can also extend life between sharpenings.

Let us know - John

John Renzetti
07-24-2004, 12:31 PM
Hi, Like Steve said it could be an older PM 220 or 221. If you go over to the ex factory site www.exfactory.com and click on manufacturer then p then Powermatic you'll be able to see the pictures of the machine plus the specs.
It could be a 1ph 5hp version with direct drive. Weighs about 2200lbs. $6500 sounds way too high. If in good working condition, around $2000 to $2500 would be ok. The asking prices you see at the exfactory site are normally high.
take care,
John

Rob Littleton
07-24-2004, 1:34 PM
I dont think its three phase, but the thing is big, low and ugly (even for pwermatic) yellow. He also said that you can shave with the blades.

$6500 for a shave...........???

Joe Mioux
07-27-2004, 8:59 PM
The guy told me that those blades are sharp enough to shave your face.....I think I will stick with the Gillette, lol. That planer is a HOG and if he drops the price to around $1000.00, I think it is a go. Even though it takes up some floor space

regards
Joe

Gary Max
07-27-2004, 9:41 PM
You might look at a new 24 inch planer and compare the price.

Steve Clardy
07-27-2004, 9:53 PM
The guy told me that those blades are sharp enough to shave your face.....I think I will stick with the Gillette, lol. That planer is a HOG and if he drops the price to around $1000.00, I think it is a go. Even though it takes up some floor space

regards
Joe
Joe. I'd think you would be due for the GLOAT OF THE YEAR PRIZE if you picked it up for that price.:D
You think He will come from 6500.00 to 1000.00?:eek:
WoW. That'd be a great shot in the arm!!:eek:
Wish I was closer!!!!!

Joe Mioux
07-27-2004, 9:55 PM
I was hoping that would catch someone's attention!!!!:D LOL

Steve Clardy
07-27-2004, 10:10 PM
I was hoping that would catch someone's attention!!!!:D LOL
Ha. If it wne for that I'd hafta drive up there and beat you too it.:eek:
But it's too far and I got a 20" that does all I need to do.
I really like old heavy machinery, the good stuff.
I have a hempel ch-12 semi-automatic wood turning lathe that weights 3000#.
Steve