PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one?

Lee Schierer
03-18-2003, 4:43 PM
I was up at a wood show in Ontario last fall and watched Rob Colson make hand made dovetails faster than most people can make them with a router.

I noticed that he had a chunk of parafin that he would squiggle across the bottom of his hand planes nearly every time he picked them up to use one.

I tried it on mine and it really improves the performance. I've mentioned it to a few people and they just look at me like I'm nuts (well, more so than usual).

Does anyone else do this?

Joe Tonich
03-18-2003, 4:49 PM
Parafin won't mess with a finish? I use Johnsons Paste wax if I need something slippery.

Joe

Glenn Clabo
03-18-2003, 4:55 PM
A little secret that my old french carpenter (or is that woodworker? ;-) ) mentor taught me...
You always keep parafin in your apron. I still use it on hand saws...planes...and screws...especially if you are using hardwood.

Jim DeLaney
03-18-2003, 5:00 PM
There's at least two of us...

I keep a block of paraffin close by whenever using my planes. In fact, I've cleaned out a couple of 'stick' deodorant containers (Arrid brand works well) and have poured them full of melted paraffin. They work very well, and the cap keeps the paraffin nice and clean.

BTW, I've tried beeswax, but it doesn't work as well for planes. I use it mostly for lubing screws before installation.

John Wadsworth
03-18-2003, 6:05 PM
I was taught by a guy who always used paraffin (for you UK guys, that's wax, not kerosene). I use it myself, sporadically, when I remember or when thje going seems particularly tough.

On the Jim Kingshott videos, Jim pulls his planes back across a wick seeped in linseed oil, with similar results.

Lee Schierer
03-18-2003, 7:46 PM
I use beeswax on screws, it adheres better than parafin. Beeswax is not as slick as parafin on planes. I have several lumps of beeswax in my shop. I can usually find one of them.

chris toomey
03-19-2003, 8:32 AM
jim

that's an excellent idea about using deodorant containers. i'm gonna try that..thanks

Howard Ruttan
03-19-2003, 9:26 AM
I buy big blocks of paraffin wax at a local craft store. I bandsaw smaller blocks off and have them in strategic locations all around the shop (even though beeswax sticks better to screws I still use paraffin). I never pick up a plane without placing a stroke of wax on the bottom. If you have never tried it, you don't realize the increase in performance.

Glenn Clabo
03-19-2003, 9:43 AM
Originally posted by Jim DeLaney
In fact, I've cleaned out a couple of 'stick' deodorant containers (Arrid brand works well) and have poured them full of melted paraffin. They work very well, and the cap keeps the paraffin nice and clean.

What GREAT idea! Learn something new everyday....

Ted Shrader
03-19-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by Joe Tonich
Paraffin won't mess with a finish? I use Johnson's Paste wax if I need something slippery.

Joe

Joe -

I'm with you on the Johnson's Paste Wax. When installing screws, I put some in the wax and use it as a screw holder.

Regards,
Ted

Dave Anderson NH
03-19-2003, 10:12 AM
day or time governs my proceedure. For slight touchup to plane soles or the sides of my handsaw blades I'll use a bit of pastewax, either Johnson's or Butcher. When it's time to do a thorough cleanup I usually get out the mineral spirits and wipe everything down to bare steel. Once cleaned, I spray on a coat of Topcote which I find is better than just paste wax for preventing rust . By better, I mean it lasts longer and has the added benefit of providing a real slippery surface. After the Topcote tratment, for months afterward, I'll just use the paste wax to renew the sliding surfaces and provide the lubrication.

Robert Goodwin
03-19-2003, 4:07 PM
How does this not bring up problems when it comes time to finish the piece. I have seen people do this, but always wondered about the finish.:confused:

Lee Schierer
03-19-2003, 4:50 PM
Originally posted by Robert Goodwin
How does this not bring up problems when it comes time to finish the piece. I have seen people do this, but always wondered about the finish.:confused:

If you use a water based finish you could have problems with wax residue. Most solvent finishes would disolve any wax left on the wood.

Andrew Fairbank
03-21-2003, 5:26 AM
Here's another user of paraffin. I just use a tealight candle and throw away the centre when it's finished. Some used to say that you only wax the toe of the plane, as the plane cuts off the wood that has paraffin on it, but I use wax all over the plane sole.

No, after finishing, I haven't had a problem with water-based finishes on the final product. It's scraped/sanded after planing

Cheers,

Andrew