PDA

View Full Version : Need a little advice

Andy Bardowell
03-29-2009, 9:58 AM
I posted something last night and now can’t find it so please let me know if I’ve stepped out of bounds somehow.

I’m in the market to upgrade my table saw and saw this PM66 on Craigslist, as this is birthday money my wife would prefer that I purchase new but the best that I can find new on my budget is a hybrid. If I were to go and have a look at this saw what sorts of things should I inspect?

I’ll wiggle the arbor to see if there is any play but what else should I look for? I can’t make out the serial number but when did Powermatic start painting in this color?

This guy is probably 10 minutes from me so I wouldn’t have to move it far. Any help that can be offered would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Andy

Jim O'Dell
03-29-2009, 10:30 AM
If there isn't anything wrong with it, I'd jump on it! (I'm guessing the hybrid you're talking about sells in the 600.00 to 800.00 range?) I've been told the first 2 numbers in the serial number denotes the year. That looks to be 1990. Have him fire it up and take a piece of wood with you to cut. That should tell you if anything is wrong, but don't skip a good inspection. Also see if he has the motor cover...doesn't show it in the picture. Good luck!!!! Jim.

PS: don't forget to take cash!!! :D:D

Stan Johnsey
03-29-2009, 10:36 AM
I'm a noob and just bought a used PM66. I talked to someone at Powermatic and they confirmed that the first two numbers of the serial number are the year of manufacture.

Andy Bardowell
03-29-2009, 10:47 AM
Jim how did you read that serial number from the horrible picture!

Jamie Buxton
03-29-2009, 11:16 AM
Make sure it is a single phase machine, or add to your budget for a converter to three-phase.

Andy Bardowell
03-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Thanks guys off to see it this afternoon.

Frank Drew
03-29-2009, 11:35 AM
Andy,

It makes perfect sense to seriously consider used equipment, especially in the current economy.

Do you know the h.p. rating of this machine's motor? I'd want at least 3 h.p..

Andy Bardowell
03-29-2009, 12:11 PM
I knew there had to be previous stuff at SMC on this and finally found it for anyone else looking at used equipment this is good stuff.
http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=77928

Andy Bardowell
03-29-2009, 12:14 PM
It's a 3 H.P 220 Frank, I assume it's a Baldorbut will see when I get there.

Jim O'Dell
03-29-2009, 12:38 PM
Part of that is guessing, but the first number looks like a 9. The third number looks like a 5 and the second one looks slightly different. Could be a 3. And I could be wrong on all numbers!!!:rolleyes: But that is and will be my guess until you prove me wrong. Speaking of which, are you there yet???? I mean, are you waiting for someone else to go ID it for you with money in THEIR HANDS???? :D Jim.

David DeCristoforo
03-29-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't know about your "neck of the woods" but around here, unless that saw had some serious issue or was ridiculously overpriced, it would have been snapped up before you even had your first question posted.

Steve Rozmiarek
03-29-2009, 1:04 PM
I wonder what happend to your other post? I know it was here last night!?

Andy Bardowell
03-29-2009, 3:51 PM
Thanks Dave and you are absolutely right I just got back and I'm now the proud owner of a PM66. You were spot on Jim it was a 1990.

This saw ran like a dream, went through some maple as though it were butter, no vibration whatsoever. The table is absolutely flat as far as I could tell without a precision straight edge, and the cranks are a bit stiff, just needs cleaning – one small spot of surface rust.

It’s missing the blade guard, motor cover and miter gauge (I’ll be using an after market one) but I just couldn’t quibble at $1300 CDN which I forgot to mention earlier. It’s a night and day difference to my Craftsman ‘80s contractor saw.

I’d like to thank you guys for all your help, I made up a checklist from SMC suggestions and felt a lot more comfortable walking up to check out this saw.

Andy

John Bailey
03-30-2009, 11:27 AM
I wonder what happend to your other post? I know it was here last night!?

Our apologies to Andy. The mods moved the first thread by mistake. Glad to see you got the saw Andy.

John