PDA

View Full Version : Evolution Rage TCT Saws... Anyone tried 'em?

Eric DeSilva
03-29-2009, 9:43 AM
Slightly OT, but its a combo saw...

I've been shopping for a metal cut off saw to do things like 1/8" angle iron and mild steel pipe. I was never a bit fan of abrasive cut off saws--the blades tend to deflect and the sparks and mess... So, I started looking at the "cold cut" saws like the Dewalt Multisaw and Milwaukee, but those things seem bloody expensive.

Triton had an intriguing cold cut saw, but it only did 90* and 45*. And, I'm a little leery of buying Triton right now.

Then I ran across these...

http://www.evolutiononlineshop.com/store/shop.cfm/ses_/c,custom,x,11,1500,x/Evolution%20Rage%204%20-%207-1%2F4%26quot%3B%20Multipurpose%20Chop%20Saw/Rage%204%20Saw/

I can pick up an 7.5" saw for less than the cost of a 14" abrasive cut-off saw that will handle the size and scale of steel I'd be working with. Haven't seen any reviews, although a number of folks seem to be happy with the Evolution circular saws.

Anyone seen one in action? Used one?

Scott Rollins
03-29-2009, 10:10 AM
I bought one for the fab shop at work. They love it. We have the 10" slider (rage something). It has reduced our fab time in half. We were using a milwaukee metal cutting circ saw, horizontal bandsaw, and vertical bandsaw. I have only been buying blades for the evolution saw since we got it. the other tools are only used occasionally now. The blade life is somewhat short..maybe 150-200 cuts in mild steel tubing (2" w 1/4" wall) and flat bar stock. We found a local shop to resharp for $15 a blade and they cut better after re-shapening than new. Good square cuts in all types of shapes.