PDA

View Full Version : Grob Brothers NS18 Bandsaw

Joseph Pritchard
03-29-2009, 7:53 AM
Does anyone have any info on a Grob Brothers NS18 Bandsaw? I have recently acquired one of these and intend to use it primarily for woodworking. I can't seem to find any manuals or any info for it. I have searched the internet and checked with the manufacturer. All the original info plates on it are unreadable. Anything you have would be appreciated.

Thank you,

John Bailey
03-29-2009, 8:09 AM
Hi Joseph,

Welcome to the Creek.

I don't have any information on the Grob, except, I believe in most cases, Grob band saws are metal working. It's entirely possible that they have a woodworking band saw also, I've just not seen one.

Again, welcome to the Creek.

John

Joseph Pritchard
03-29-2009, 9:09 AM
Hi John,

Thank you for the reply. I do know that this saw may be primarily for metal working but I think since it has the option of 10 speeds that I can adapt it for woodworking. It is set up with guides that only handle up to a 1/2 inch blade but I am hoping that with the size of the wheels being over 1 1/2 inch wide, that I can swap the guides out and run up to a 1 inch wood sawing blade.

Wes Grass
03-29-2009, 2:12 PM
We've got a Grob. Not sure of the model but probably the same machine or at least close. I can get the blade speed info off the tag so you have some clue as to how fast it's running. I think it'll be pretty slow compared to a typical wood cutting saw but that'll just make the blades last longer ;-)

As for running a wider blade, I don't see the point. Unless this thing has the frame extended it only has about 8" of resaw height anyway. A 1/2" blade should do fine.

Bob Rufener
03-29-2009, 5:43 PM
I believe the manufacturer is Grob Incorporated and the company is located in Grafton, WI

1731 10TH AVE
GRAFTON, WI 53024
Phone:(262) 377-1400Web:www.grobinc.com (http://www.grobinc.com)

You might call them 1-800-225-6481 and see if they can help you out.

Wes Grass
03-29-2009, 6:48 PM
It is in fact an NS 18, serial number 5459.

Pulleys are, from left to right:

Low
High
260, 2030 FPM
175, 1365
115, 900
75, 585
50, 390

The front plate is recommended speeds for various materials, and corner radius guidelines for various blade widths.

Nominal blade length is 144". And I was wrong about the resaw height. I can get 9" under the guide. And another 1/4" with the door open. Removing the blade guard would get a bit more, maybe another inch. So it might be worth trying to run a 3/4" blade.

The plates are etched and enameled, IOW raised lettering, so you may be able to clean them up to readable condition by scuffing the tops.

Joseph Pritchard
03-29-2009, 8:41 PM
Thank you Wes for the info. From the S/N you gave yours is a little bit newer than mine but I'm sure my speeds would be the same. I checked with Grob Inc and they do have a drawing for these saws that you can order parts by. They tell me this saw hasn't been manufactured since 1968 and they sort of figured mine was probably made in the 1940s. I would sure like to find a manual if one was ever made but the company is not sure if there was one or not. The newer saws don't use pulleys to change speeds. They use a transmission of some sort instead.

Again, thanks for checking for me.