PDA

View Full Version : hinges and customized lettering for small boxes

tom coleman
03-29-2009, 3:29 AM
I am trying to make keepsake boxes for 3 grand daughters visiting in 1 week. I envision a small box 3/8 thick with mitered corners with the corners re-inforced with splines of a contrasting color. Intend to visit woodcraft tomorrow and buy a 1/8 slot bit for router table and some 1/8 spline material. Suggestions?

The top will be 1/2 inch baltic birch. From Doug Stowe's book I got the idea to roundover the hinge end of the top so it will pivot 180 degrees. I want to use brass rod for the hinges. Doug suggests buying welding stock brass rod cutting to a 1" length and then drilling a hole through sides of the box and into the lid. Tap the rod into the hole and it's done. Have any of you done this? Suggestions? Should I epoxy the rod into that hole or rely on a friction fit?

My thought is to use a Sears lettering template I bought years ago to route girl's names in box lid. Perhaps 1/8" deep. Then paint the letters in black and sand the surface. Presumably the letters will now look crisp and professional before I poly the lid. Suggestions?

Add a simple hasp and small combination lock and girl's will have something to safeguard their treasures and remeber that FL Gramps made it for her.

Ed Sallee
03-29-2009, 5:53 AM
I have done this type of hing, several times. Make sure you have a chamfer on the top of the back edge to account for the lid raising. Also, when you set up to drill the holes, it is a good idea to have some spacer boards inside the box for the lid to set on. And, you will want to band clamp the lid in place to make sure the lid doesn't climb out when you're drilling. I have this process outlined in a blog I did at this link... (http://waxingmoonwood.ning.com/profiles/blogs/box-for-christine) I used no glue on the hinges.