PDA

View Full Version : Children's Puzzle Rocker

Skip Weiser
03-29-2009, 2:23 AM
Just in time for Easter!

Here's a neat little puzzle type rocking chair that could be a fun project for you guys. It's a dxf exported from CorelDraw so I hope it opens okay. I can post the Corel file too if needed.

The drawing is set up for 3/4" material and if I remember correctly I was getting 3 of these per 4x8 sheet. These look nice personalized with a name v-carved into the top of the back too.

There's an extra locking pin in this drawing that can be deleted if you want.

Have fun.

James Jaragosky
03-30-2009, 8:34 AM
Just in time for Easter!

Here's a neat little puzzle type rocking chair that could be a fun project for you guys. It's a dxf exported from CorelDraw so I hope it opens okay. I can post the Corel file too if needed.

The drawing is set up for 3/4" material and if I remember correctly I was getting 3 of these per 4x8 sheet. These look nice personalized with a name v-carved into the top of the back too.

There's an extra locking pin in this drawing that can be deleted if you want.

Have fun.
I could not open the zipped attachment.
thanks for posting this neat project.

Skip Weiser
03-30-2009, 8:48 AM
Thanks for the heads-up on not being able to open the file, Jim.

Here's a .cdr in ver. 10. Hope you can do something with this one.

Michael Kowalczyk
03-30-2009, 9:08 PM
Hey Skip,
Thanks for posting a little variation of this old puzzle rocker. I made a whole bunch of them several years back after making some strength improvements to the original one I waited in line for 20 minutes at the IWF show about 10+ years ago. it was originally 1/2" MDF. I made mine from 5/8" MDF core melamine so it was so strong that even I could stand on it. So that cleared up the strength issue real quick.
One pic is my daughter selling the chairs. the one of the heart is first generation. The one with blue edges is the improved version. and the last one is a pic I found of my old Digital tool CNC cutting some out.

Oh and just an FYI to all... There was a company that made these that claimed to have the US Patent on them. I checked and could not verify their claim. It was also being made in China, out of 1/2" MDF and painted Red, Blue, Yellow and Green. I think they just put it on the box thinking they would be protected and no one would check but the # that they put did not even have the correct format.

After one vendor got a Cease and Desist from MGM because they were making a lion's face and giving them away, I make sure I check as best I can if there are any copyright's or patents on items that we I may produce for us or others so that I do not infringe on others. We have turned down several projects because we either new who made them or they could not provide any info of owners ship. One flag is when they bring it to you without any electronic or paper drawings and expect you to reverse engineer it. Having a few patents ourselves, I go the extra mile to make sure because I know what it takes to protect your hard work and intellectual property rights. There are SO MANY THIEFS out there that can not come up with their own creative ideas that they have to steal from others or do not take the time to ask when some one brings in an item and asks if you can make 100 of these. The red flag doesn't go up. So many unethical/thieves bring products that they don't have the right to have manufactured by any one else other than the original manufacturer that is either the patent owner or is licensed to manufacture it, and bring it to some of those unethical/thieves that DAFAB (do anything for a buck).

Don't worry Skip. :eek: This was in no way directed at you.:D I just shared and experience or two, that this puzzle chair resurfaced and thought it might shed some light so that even though these may be tough times we are weathering, that I hope that some people do not become a DAFAB and loose their good business ethics and moral compass like most of us here on the Creek.

And don't forget to ... (look under pictures)

Skip Weiser
03-31-2009, 1:59 PM
Hi Michael,

All I can tell you about this design is that a friend of mine had picked up a hand made chair like this at a garage sale. It was cut out of MDF with either a jig saw or a band saw.

He wanted another one so I copied the design and drew up a the Corel file. I suppose it's always possible that someone somewhere still holds the patent for this particular chair, but I really don't know.

Michael Kowalczyk
03-31-2009, 4:06 PM
Hey Skip,
As I mentioned this was not directed at you at all. As far as I am concerned this chair has become public domain. It has so many variations of it and if you do a search you will find 50+ merchants selling them with some kind of cutesy personalization.

As I mentioned, I did the search with the so called US patent # that they had on the box and it came up no record found. I hope you understand the spirit of my post. It was just to shed some light on the subject of what do you do when someone brings you a project that you know they did not design and want you to copy it or mass produce. Character says a lot about a business (person) and a strong trait in my book is knowing when to say "No thank you" and don't be afraid to do your due diligence.