PDA

View Full Version : Russian Olive Box w/ button inlay

Randy Hoch
03-29-2009, 1:30 AM
Here's a lidded box with a friction lid. Russian Olive, 3.5 x 2 in. with vintage button as an inlay. Friction polish. First box since watching the Raffan DVD and studying the book. As always, comments and critiques solicited.

Randy

Norm Zax
03-29-2009, 2:02 AM
nice touch with the button, and classy box!

alex carey
03-29-2009, 3:25 AM
Nicely done, I like where the top meets the bottom, the beads work nicely.

Dewey Torres
03-29-2009, 3:47 AM
Nice box...kinda looks like some of the cedar I have been turning without the sapwood. As you may know I am a big inlay fan:D

David Walser
03-29-2009, 3:59 AM
Randy,

You have a winner! That's a box any turner would be proud to have turned. I hope it's just the first of many.

Jeff Nicol
03-29-2009, 7:12 AM
Randy, Very cool!! I would have to fight tooth and nail to keep something like that button from my wife! She collects old costume jewelry and anything that has crystals in it like that! Great box and the button adds some real old world class!

Jeff

Alan Trout
03-29-2009, 10:15 AM
Randy, I really like the grain patterns in that piece of olive, and the button is a nice touch.

Well Done.

Alan

RL Johnson
03-29-2009, 10:21 AM
Excellent shape, form and fit-up. Raffan would be proud of you. I have always enjoyed boxes more than bowls and yours is a winner, keep up the great work.

Mike Golka
03-29-2009, 10:23 AM
Very nice!! Love the beads.

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2009, 10:51 AM
Very nice work! Really good form and finish! Great idea of using the button as an inlay! Really adds to the piece!

Kirk Miller
03-29-2009, 11:26 AM
Beautiful work Randy. I have some Russian Olive coming from my father in Billings. I was really looking forward to working with it, and now the anticipation has increased. Once again Beautiful work

Kirk

Bernie Weishapl
03-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Randy that is a beauty with the button touch. Nice form and finish.

Bill Bolen
03-29-2009, 1:59 PM
You have a real winner there Randy. Great form and finish and the inlay sets it up for more admiration from the eventual owner. i love it...Bill..

Dave Halter
03-29-2009, 7:07 PM
Love it. Very nice form and beautiful wood. The inlay adds a whole new dimension to it. How was the russian olive to turn? I've been wanting to get some.

Dave

Randy Hoch
03-29-2009, 10:39 PM
I appreciate all the kind comments.

David, R.O. is very nice to turn - very easy. Tear out is not a problem, nor is sanding. Some think that it's mostly a shrub or small tree, but out here there are alot of specimens around 28 inches in diameter. The color is dark and rich and the figure can be all over the place. (swirls, etc.) Growth rings are wide and it can be relatively porous. Degradation due to moisture loss through the end grain is not a problem with this wood. Another plus is that it burls pretty commonly, particularly at the ground level.

Randy