PDA

View Full Version : Remember this video next time you pick up your cell phone

Gene O. Carpenter
03-28-2009, 9:41 PM
No explanation needed! Self explanitory!

http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/portable/video/x5odhh_pop-corn-telephone-portable-microon_news (http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/portable/video/x5odhh_pop-corn-telephone-portable-microon_news)

Gene

M Toupin
03-28-2009, 10:20 PM
It smells, but not like popcorn...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOZZ6dJiIgo

Mike

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2009, 10:26 PM
Didn't surprise me. I work with MR scanners daily and they put out a LOT more RF energy than cell phones.

In this age folks should not believe a lot of what they see or hear on the internet.

Dewey Torres
03-28-2009, 10:30 PM
It smells, but not like popcorn...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOZZ6dJiIgo

Mike

Mike,
Thanks for the debunk!:mad: (that is 5 minutes I won't get back):rolleyes:.

Scott T Smith
03-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Most cell phones produce 1/2 watt or less of transmitting energy, and the radio spectrum where they operate is significantly lower than a microwave oven.

You're not going to cook ANYTHING from a half of a watt...

David G Baker
03-28-2009, 11:48 PM
The cell phones were receiving and not transmitting, seems like that would make a difference if it really worked. This one has been debunked for quite a while.
RF can be some very bad stuff. If you have a CB radio that, if legal, puts out less than 5 watts, never touch your metal antenna while transmitting. DAMHIK. RF goes straight for the bone marrow and cooks from the inside out like a microwave oven.

Gene O. Carpenter
03-29-2009, 10:56 AM
Just checking guilability!! But David G Baker is correct about RF burns! They are bad and as he also said DAMHIKT !! BTDT !! ZZZZZZAAAAAAAPPPPPP :eek: :eek: OOOCHHH :confused: :mad: Somebody didn't ground the cap!!
Gene

Steve Schlumpf
03-29-2009, 11:10 AM
Have to agree with David and Gene - RF burns are nasty and take a heck of a long time to heal!

David G Baker
03-29-2009, 4:11 PM
I worked in broadcasting for approximately 30 years. Many of the engineers that spent a lot of time working on towers and dishes had a life expectancy of 18 months after retiring. All of that RF is deadly even in small doses over time.
I did hundreds of microwave live shots but never thought about focusing the rods on popcorn.

Jim Kountz
03-29-2009, 4:45 PM
Here I sit still waiting for my popcorn to pop using four cell phones. Im starting to think this doesnt work!!:D:D:D:D

Bob Rufener
03-29-2009, 5:48 PM
I saw this some time ago and it sure looks believable. It is documented as a spoof that someone concocted. There is another one out there that uses cell phones to cook a hard boiled egg. Too bad they are spoofs. I've been trying to find a logical explanation as to why my brain isn't functioning like it used to.

Myk Rian
03-29-2009, 10:55 PM
The cell phones were receiving and not transmitting, seems like that would make a difference if it really worked. This one has been debunked for quite a while.
RF can be some very bad stuff. If you have a CB radio that, if legal, puts out less than 5 watts, never touch your metal antenna while transmitting. DAMHIK. RF goes straight for the bone marrow and cooks from the inside out like a microwave oven.
We used to check our mobile linear amplifiers by holding a 4ft fluorescent tube next to the antenna. They would light up like electricity was applied to them.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
03-29-2009, 11:04 PM
I work on amplifiers that put out over 40KW....and yes I've see the fluorescent tube trick.

Dan Karachio
03-30-2009, 7:13 AM
Just be sure you saw the second video posted. It was all a hoax, put out by a company that makes blue tooth head sets. You cannot pop corn with cell phones. Still, I recently saw a neuro surgeon on TV stating that he feels long term effects are not understood and that he uses a head set.

P.S. How many guys keep cell phones in their pants pockets or on a belt clip!

David G Baker
03-30-2009, 11:12 AM
Once in a while the company would rent a hotel room so we could get a microwave signal out to the mountain top receivers. We would take the 2 GIG transmitter off of our truck, haul it up to some very high room in the hotel, set the rig up on a tripod and establish a signal with our transmission department. We would use what was called a shoe box transmitter/receiver 13 GIG to get the signal from the camera to the hotel room. Most modern hotels have sealed windows so when I fired up the transmitter microwave was bouncing all over the place reflected off of the window. Wish I had know about the fluorescent tube trick back then. I do remember a slight burning sensation on my face when the transmitter was on, this could explain all of the pre cancerous cells on my face. After several of us engineers complained about the potential hazard the union made the company rent a separate room or a double room any time we did an indoor transmitter shot.
Still wish I had tried the popcorn thing. :D

Chris Padilla
03-30-2009, 12:35 PM
They would light up like electricity was applied to them.:)

It isn't "like"...it actually was being applied. :)

Rod Sheridan
03-30-2009, 3:11 PM
. I've been trying to find a logical explanation as to why my brain isn't functioning like it used to.

Try age................Rod.