PDA

View Full Version : Joining the Mustard clan

Rex Guinn
03-28-2009, 6:16 PM
I just ordered the 3520b yesterday from toolnut, since it ships from Tenn. It should be here on Tuesday or Wednesday. I can't wait! I was thinking of ordering the dust duct, but have not yet. Has anyone used it and what do you think. I like the way it connect to the banjo.
I put my Palmgren up on craigslist and sold it within an hour. Has anyone made a box for sand, I want to make it as stable as possible.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-28-2009, 6:36 PM
Rex...Congrats on the upcoming Mustard! I've only turned upto 14" on my Mustard and haven't seen any need for ballast yet.

Enjoy!

George Morris
03-28-2009, 7:42 PM
Congrats on the M.M. you will love it.Check on the AAW forum they have a link to the Mustard Monster Web page. Lots of great ways to customize your MM. George

Mike Peace
03-28-2009, 8:09 PM
I am with Ken. I have turned a number of bowls at about 14 inches (18" rough blank weighing 45 lb.) I have not found the need to add ballast. Maybe one of these days I will see a need but not for the past year and I turn something probably 4-5 days a week.

Dewey Torres
03-28-2009, 9:12 PM
Rex,
Congrats and don't forget the pics!

Rich Boehlke
03-28-2009, 9:19 PM
Congrats on the new toy you are sure to enjoy it.

I just use a bungee cord to secure a dust collection hose to the banjo, it works well and is a lot cheaper than the PM add-on.

Maylon Harvey
03-28-2009, 9:37 PM
Here is my dust collector. Works great and the price was right.

John Fricke
03-28-2009, 9:41 PM
congrats..........I'm so jealous

Dewey Torres
03-28-2009, 9:46 PM
Here is my dust collector. Works great and the price was right.

Southern Comfort...best on the rocks, with a cigar, and sipped:D!

Bernie Weishapl
03-28-2009, 9:47 PM
Congrats on the new PM.

Bill Bolen
03-28-2009, 9:56 PM
Congrats you lucky dog! Can you feel the envy...I mean love...Bill...

Rich Souchek
03-28-2009, 10:37 PM
Congradulations Rex.
Think you will be in love with your lathe for a long time.
My exerience is that a sand box to increase weight and and reduce vibrations for the PM 3520B is not needed. I turn everthing I can pick up on my lathe, and it doesn't need any help in reducing vibrations. A 100 + lb bowl blank mounted on a screw chuck is about the maximum I can pick up any more and have to get someone else to screw the headstock onto the screw chuck. The lathe handles the weight and out of balance loads without any problems.
If you do want to go real big, invest your money in an overhead trolley & hoist instead of a sand box. The bed extension in the lowered position is the way to go.
Rich S.

Alan Trout
03-28-2009, 10:43 PM
Rex, congratulations. It should be a lot of fun for many years.

Alan

Steve Schlumpf
03-28-2009, 11:55 PM
Rex - congrats on ordering your lathe! Looking forward to the pics!

Gary Max
03-29-2009, 2:24 AM
Welcome to the land of Mustard.

alex carey
03-29-2009, 3:23 AM
May I first say congrats, its a great lathe, you won't be dissapointed.

I wouldn't put the feet on it, it makes it less stable.

Here is my ballast, it is an old door I cut to size, it is quite heavy in itself, probably around 35 pounds. To make it fit in there I had to take the legs off and then put it in and re attach the legs. Kind of a hassle but it worked out great. Not a lot of weight on it in this picture but there is more now, probably only 100 pounds or so.

Alex

Don Eddard
03-29-2009, 6:55 AM
I wouldn't put the feet on it, it makes it less stable.

Not a good idea. If your floor is uneven at all, you are potentially torquing the bed of the lathe, which can damage it, especially if you're turning heavy blanks. There's a reason they include the leveling feet. :rolleyes: If your PM is sliding around on the leveling feet, get some non-slip pads to put under them, but I'd recommend against putting the bare cast iron bottom of the legs onto the floor.

Jeff Nicol
03-29-2009, 7:10 AM
Rex, Congratulations on choosing a great lathe and becoming a member of the fast growing Mustard owners! You will be very happy with it and for the price there is no comparison! Have fun and keep us posted on your first creations off the POWERMATIC!!!

Another satisfied Mustard owner,

Jeff

Randy Hoch
03-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Welcome to the ranks of happy MM users! I agree with those that say you will not need ballast but just a shelf or under lathe cabinet is dandy. I roughed an 18.5 in birch bowl last nite. I did throw a couple sand bags on my platform because they fit along side my cabinet. I used to need them for my old JWL 1442.
I went without the leveling feet because I'm 6 ft tall and the spindle height should not be any higher for me. The leveling feet are considered optional although Don's point is well taken as far as uneven floors. Fortunately mine is perfect.;)
Bet you can't wait! Delivery and set-up is a kick. Don't forget the photos!

Randy